No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Could it be Moser?  (Read 4079 times)

Offline Nancy128

• Members
    • USA
Could it be Moser?
« on: March 03, 2005, 10:40:34 PM »
Everyone did so well on my last piece of glass.  Here's another one.  I think it's Moser, but there is no signature, so I'm thinking that it could be really old Moser?  

http://tinypic.com/202pmp
http://tinypic.com/202poo
http://tinypic.com/202psk

Thanks for looking.
Nancy

Offline Leni

• Members
Could it be Moser?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 11:06:36 PM »
Looks like Murano mass produced to me, but no doubt the experts will know   :?  

I have a little vase with very similar decoration which I bought in Murano about 3 years ago.  (I also have video footage of a guy in a workshop painting the gold on a table full of them!  :roll: )

My mother-in-law has a set which looks quite similar to yours which she and father-in-law bought in Venice about 30 years ago, so I think they've been making the same or very similar designs for some time.  

Leni
Leni

Offline Nancy128

• Members
    • USA
Could it be Moser?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 12:25:27 AM »
Thanks Frank.  I do sell American Brilliant on eBay on occassion.  I haven't come across any good pieces lately.  I've been quite bored.  I'm pretty proud of my pictures.  Here's a couple that I took today if you're interested in seeing them.  One is of the Bohemian paperweight that I'm trying to figure out what the signature says, but this photo of the paperweight is really cool.  I call it the green swirl.  The other one is a plate that I bought but I took a really good close up of the star.  I call it the star.  Creative titles uh?

http://tinypic.com/2034wo
http://tinypic.com/20350x

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Could it be Moser?
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 07:21:42 AM »
Most raised enamel and gold wares come out of Bohemia, largest maker there is Egermann. The largest Italian maker of these "Terzo Fuoco" (fired three times) is Francesco Barbini in Martelago (not Murano) since 1964.  The Murano Barbinis are a little embarrassed that there is a decorator shop with the same name - but such is life....

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Could it be Moser?
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 03:17:57 PM »
Ivo: I have sold a vase some time ago with virtually identical decoration and it was stickered and labeled as Murano.

Luckily, I still have the photo of them both! It was made by Alfa & Omega, with one comment on the label causing me some amusement:

The little defects are caused by the esclusively [sic] handwork

CLICK TO OPEN PAGE

The inside of the label waffles on about "1000% Gold Platinum Decoration" (yes, one thousand percent is correct.)

Nancy: Nice photos - surprising what inspiration can be gained from art glass! What camera are you using?

Regards,
David  :mrgreen:
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Could it be Moser?
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 04:12:02 PM »
hate to be petulant but it says "made in Italy". Maybe it was even produced in Murano, who knows! although -
http://www.glassonline.com/wgid_alfaomega/index.html
seems to suggest something else.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Could it be Moser?
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 04:17:54 PM »
It does suggest something different. I assume 'FI' is Fiorentino? (have I spelt that right?)

Or maybe this is a distributors label?

The label does state "T.MURANO"; is the "T" an abbreviation for "from"?

David  :mrgreen:
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Could it be Moser?
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2005, 04:31:42 PM »
Empoli, the secondlargest glass making centre in Italy is in Firenze (FI) province. I would think this is either a wholesale or a retail label.  Don't know what the T. stands for but it is not "from".

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Could it be Moser?
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2005, 05:28:15 PM »
hmmmm ...

I agree with Ivo's comment about items with raised enamel flowers - mostly from Egermann. When I bought an example some years back, it was originally labelled on the stall as "Italian", which is what I thought these were, but the stallholder let me have it very cheaply. I then realised that it was probably a case of a long-unsold item being finally recognised as "new"!

My problem at the time was that items with wide gilded rims and gilded body sections all looked "Italian" to me. But when I bought a copy of the Truitts' book, Bohemian Glass, I saw many examples, including one much like mine.

However, the vase shown by David seems to me to have "flat" enamelling, not the obvious raised type of the confused "Italian / Bohemian" pieces. The vase shape and colour and its general decorative application is much like a well-worn pair given to me by a friend who used to work at a charity shop :!:. My pair have "silvered" decoartion rather than gilded and show stylistic gondolas and floral motifs.
KevinH

Anonymous

Could it be Moser?
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2005, 06:49:00 PM »
Quote from: "KevH"
I agree with Ivo's comment about items with raised enamel flowers - mostly from Egermann.

However, IMHO the flowers on Nancy's glass look more like the ones on mine, which was definitely Murano (we not only bought there but as I said, I have video footage of someone painting them! Of course I realise this doesn't mean they had to be actually *made* there, but ....)   Actually they look more like the ones on my m-i-l's set, so Nancy's is probably one of the older versions.  

Here's a pic of the decoration on mine - apologies for the fact that my photography is so inferior to Nancy's  :oops:   But I was holding the vase in one hand and taking the pic with the other  :roll: http://tinypic.com/20qi9s

Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand