Looking for Glass on ebay? Angela's Designer Searches can help! Click here!

Author Topic: Early Powell ??  (Read 951 times)

Offline david31162

• Members
Early Powell ??
« on: March 03, 2005, 11:02:30 PM »
I've no real idea how to describe this. The only thing ive seen like it is early Powell/ Whitefriars. But Ive been told its not that.
It has a ground foot ring (is that the right term?).
I can't measure it right now as its in the attic - at a guess its 20cm wide. No marks , no sign of pontil. It just looks and feels well made.

Any ideas welcome. Thanks
David

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/david-dj/glass20002.jpg

Offline Bernard C

• Committee
  • Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Early Powell ??
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 08:33:11 AM »
David,

I believe that this particular style of foot is uncommonly found in positively attributable British glass of this type, and that it usually indicates a Bohemian or other mainland European origin in such glass found in Britain.   A British attribution cannot be completely excluded.   The shape is not usually associated with American glass.

I find it impossible to believe that any professional glassmaker or apprentice at one of the top British glassworks such as Stevens & Williams, John Walsh Walsh, or Whitefriars would have left the foot in this way to be finished by grinding.

Bernard C.  8)
Text and Images Copyright 200414 Bernard Cavalot

Offline david31162

• Members
Thanks for the replies
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 08:46:12 PM »
Thanks for your ideas about the origin of the glass.
David

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
Re: Early Powell ??
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 05:05:29 PM »
Why notpost it on www.Whitefriars.com. There you have fellow collectors and a most amazing site on this great and much missed factory!They even have a voting system and I recall seeing someting similar1 the smoke colour does not look quite Whitefriars to me but could be photo or made on a day of poor colour! It happens in the best factories, so I am told by our batch mixer when he makes a mistake!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Gateway
Re: Early Powell ??
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 06:11:10 PM »
A bit pointless as it is not british.
Frank A.
Please help preserve glass web-sites for posterity by donating to The Glass Study Association a non-profit organisation.
Scotland's Glass - Ysart Glass
Glass Zoo - Glass Study.COM
Commercial Czech

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand