No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Counting stripes - Monart - Vasart - Ysart  (Read 1640 times)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Counting stripes - Monart - Vasart - Ysart
« on: February 14, 2007, 12:44:18 AM »
I believe Kevin has done a count of all the stripes in dip mould decorated Ysart pieces.
What I have done is to count the stripes in many of the Ysart ink and perfume bottles, plus paperweights that I have personally handled where stripes have been used. Although these have covered perhaps only a couple of dozen or so items, in all cases there were 20 stripes. This applies to a few pre-war shape IE bottles, several early Vasart (Ysart Bros period) ink bottles and a few Ysart Bros period weights.

I have tried to count stripes in photos, but unless there is a top or bottom view, this can be misleading as photos often obscure the exact number at the edges of the image. For instance, in some of the images in the Ysart Glass book, it is possible to think that 18 or 20 or 22 stripes have been used.

Also, I have counted cogs on lots of canes. So far I have found 8, 10, 12, 16, 20, and 24. [But perhaps I should check that by recounting across all the canes in my web pages?]

As a general point, when an item has tightly spiralled threads it can often seem that there are lots and lots of threads. But a count can quite easily be made if a top or bottom view clearly shows all threads at their ends.
KevinH

Offline Gary

• Members
Re: Counting stripes - Monart - Vasart - Ysart
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 09:43:09 PM »
I have three Monart striped pieces, each with different number of stripes.
Number one is a pendant shade (S10) with 25 stripes, number two is a bowl (DF) with 20 stripes and number three is an ashtray (ZH) with 16 stripes.
Gary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand