No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: is this a Paul Ysart Harlequin PW. ID = Probably German or Bohemian  (Read 4074 times)

Offline RAY

• Members
i just found this in my dads garage hidden with a load of junk, this is huge just under 4" across and 3.25" high and very heavy, but its in a bad state with alot of chips also it has 3 layers of Harlequin

cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
is this a Paul Ysart Harlequin PW
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 10:31:26 PM »
Hi Ray,

Looks probably ok for a Paul Ysart to me. Compare with my example (that I am now 99% confident was by Paul):
http://www.btinternet.com/~kevh.glass/pages/paul-ysart/unsigned/RareHarlequin.htm

Also, Colin Terris shows a triple Harlequin that Paul made as one of three during his Caithness years. Go to the page below, then select "Paul Ysart" and see the one top left in the page:
http://glassmaker.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/
Or for a slightly larger image, with description, select "Patience Rewarded" from the page:
http://ysartweights.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

Each shows a structure with four outer "legs" around a central "column" and the upper "legs" positioned between the lower ones (probably for stability of the design).

At almost 4 inch diameter, it certainly is a large example - but I have seen a few Ysart weights that are even bigger, with the largest nearly 5 inch diameter. All would appear to be from the 1930s/40s period.

If you could send me an email (see my profile) with larger images attached I would be happy to consider it further.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 07:18:17 PM »
As well as sending extra photos and details, Ray has very kindly allowed me to examine this weight personally.

And now I am confused  :cry: - but in a nice sort of way!

This may be the first European "Triple Harlequin" I have had my hands on. (Althouh in the main reference book for this type of weight  they are simply called "bubble weights" - or something similar.)

Hmmm. More later.
KevinH

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 01:20:20 PM »
Quote from: "KevH"
Hmmm. More later.

:D  :arrow:  :)  :arrow:  :o  :arrow:  :P  :arrow:  :wink:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 07:47:48 PM »
ok ... ok ... later is now ...

The weight fluoresced just like most "soda" glass items I have checked (in the clear dome, that is). That means under UV it is not possible to separate it from pre-Caithness Paul Ysart pieces, or most other 20s / 30s / 40s / 50s "soda" glass for that matter.

The colouring and working of the frit pieces were not, in my opinion, like Paul Ysart work that I have seen. The main point being that, apart from the various Badge weights attributed to Paul (some of which might even be Belgian!), all frit work of his that I have seen has been in neater, more rounded pieces and set on a thin white ground.

Also the finish to the base was reasonably consistent with other magnum sized weights I have seen which were most likely of German or Bohemian origin.

So I believe the weight is European, not by Paul Ysart.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand