No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian Era Jam Jar  (Read 1870 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Victorian Era Jam Jar
« on: March 01, 2007, 12:49:37 AM »
I thought I'd post this even though any attribution is probably very remote. Its' a Jam Jar, 5 1/2" in height & 2 3/4" diameter...dark green cut to clear in seven panels, each panel having four windows, each cut window measures 1/2" X 3/4" & each window (all 28) has a hand painted miniture scene (birds, castles, jumping deer, etc. to name a few) hand painted in gold enamel. Star cut bottom with quite a bit of wear. I'm not certain it's American in origin...seems a bit ornate & thought maybe Bohemian. Any possibilities/opinions are appreciated.
Thanks, ken
http://www.glasstreasurechest.com/catalog/images/jamjar2.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Victorian Era Jam Jar
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 03:02:22 AM »
Fascinating!

The images do appear to be in a Bohemian (Egermann) style, but they seem to be rather more stylised than I am used to seeing as cut into ruby flashed items.

Any chance of some closer views of the images? Even with a 400% enlargement I can't really be sure of any detail.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 04:56:42 AM »
This is the best I could do for any closeup.

http://www.glasstreasurechest.com/catalog/images/closeup.jpg

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 05:14:09 AM »
Ken — I have stopped being surprised at what was made from glass, but your jam / preserve is a completely unexpected delight.   Are you sure that the splendid mount was actually made for it?    Look for matching ornamentation on both the lid and mount.   If they don't match, then there is no loss — each are superb items in their own right.    I've bought many optimistic dealer mix-and-matches that have proved profitable when separated and properly researched.

Like KevH, I would like to see all of the 28 panels, together with some sort of plan or numbering that shows where each is located, so that we can look for sequences.   They may not be randomly placed, but tell a story, perhaps a traditional folk tale.   Is there any obvious start or finish panel?   Also the style of each panel may help with dating and attribution.   While this message board is not known for expertise in the field of folk tales, there are well-informed members who will know how to check this out.

Note that I wrote this before your previous reply.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 06:30:45 AM »
Bernard I am certain the holder does not belong to the jar, it's close, but not an exact fit by any stretch. I'll have to attempt to take a sequence of pics tomorrow. These are very, very small scenes, each painted in that 1/2" X 3/4" space. I have no idea who would ever have the patience to do that. I'm not certain there is a story line here though. The figures are somewhat repetetive maybe a slight difference here & there. There are deer jumping, hawks diving, castles? & what appears to be a primative fence. I can give you the order panel by panel. #1deer, castle, fence, castle, #2 castle, fence, deer, fence, #3 hawk, deer, castle, deer, #4 fence, castle, fence, castle, #5 deer, hawk, deer, hawk, #6 castle, fence, castle, fence & #7 fence, deer, hawk, deer. The entire deal is a bit insane with 28 miniture paintings. For its size its heavy & there are twp layers of glass, green & clear, its not flashed. I'll see what I can do tomorrow. Ken 

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 04:40:44 PM »
I am fairly sure that the motifs on the jar are Bohemian and that the jar is quite likely 19th century. This would seem consistent with the look of the gilding, too. But these motifs have been used continouously to the present day, and it's not easy to know if some items are 19th or 20th century.

For info, I have provided below some images of typical Bohemian (Egermann style) motifs that adorn a pair of goblet vases that I have. It might be useful, as well as fun, to see these close up as most photos in books etc. show only the full items and not the detailed motifs.

The vases (By the way, I don't actually know if these are 19th or 20th century, but I suspect 19th)

Motifs ...
Building-01 ... Building-02 ... Building-03 ... Building-04

Scroll-01 ... Scroll-02 ... Scroll-03

Scrolls & Stag ... Scrolls & Hare
KevinH

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 12:29:53 AM »
KevH & Bernard G...well this is the best I could do for all seven panels. Its a bit difficult when each panel is spiraled plus the tiny scenes. Thanks, Ken

http://www.glasstreasurechest.com/catalog/images/closeup2.jpg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand