No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lionhead Cakeplate : Pukeberg  (Read 3378 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Lionhead Cakeplate : Pukeberg
« on: February 25, 2005, 02:13:04 PM »
I've seen these in the antique trade for many years, some dealers want you to believe it is Moser but most are unsure what it is. I tend to think "Belgian Deco" but in fact, I'm clueless... could also be Bagley.
Usually found in amber, today is the first time I've seen one in frosted aqua. The head is intaglio in the middle of a clear polished base, the outer edge is patterned and frosted.  The large plate is 12 1/2 "diameter, and there are 9 small ones of 6 1/2". Anyone have a good recipe for lion cake? <roar>

http://www.xs4all.nl/~abel/question/lionhead.jpg

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 10:52:09 PM »
Unlikely to be Bagley, Ivo, as I have not seen this pattern here in the UK.

Most Bagley patterns are known, but there is a gap in surviving trade catalogues at the end of the '30s, leading me to believe that a few Bagley patterns have yet to be recognised, including, for example, the large ripple and stars floating bowl I mentioned on this board a few months ago.

Proving they are Bagley is difficult, unless you can match up fonts of inscriptions punched into the moulds, and the colours match.

Has Glen seen this topic?

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 02:28:40 AM »
Dave Peterson in  "Vaseline Glass Canary to Contemporary" shows this plate in vaseline on page 67 and states "probably attributed to Pukeberg Glass, Sweden, unknown year".

Sid

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 07:54:05 AM »
Within MINUTES of posting it in Antikprat I had this fantastisk answer from Bay Akerblom:
"Denna serie med ett lejon i mitten är tillverkade vid Pukebergs glasbruk och kom i produktion omkring 1930. Det finns ingen känd formgivare bakom modellen. De förekommer i flera olika färgsättningar som vitt, grönt, gult, lila m.m. I serien ingår tallrikar, skålar och även servisglas. Största tallriken är 312 mm och har artikelnummer 986 till den minsta som är 165 mm och har art. nr. 983."
In short: Pukeberg, in production after 1930. Designer unknown. Colours include clear, green, amber and amethyst.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand