No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cat and Roz diamond/pineapple vase  (Read 5336 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Cat and Roz diamond/pineapple vase
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2007, 01:17:00 AM »

Date stamped: Mar 02, 2007

So the thread must have been started on or after this date. No time unless Anne can help, but it assumes Cat posted it straight away (where is she BTW?)

Timestamp:  1172858473   >:D 

OK, OK, I'll translate... the server logs in Unix time, which translated to what we understand would make it:   Fri, 02 Mar 2007 18:01:13 GMT  (totally OT comment... to see how it converts time, go here8)

Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2007, 06:40:37 PM »
Here are some pictures of my green uranium glass vase. It has a fire or acid polished rim, no grinding
top base whole vase. As I said, I reckon mine is 70 plus years old

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Roz

• Members
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2007, 09:54:36 PM »
The way the diamonds are formed looks the same, but the vase shape is different. It's all in the way the glass has been given the diamond pattern - I'm trying to remember where I've read about it. I have read too much over the last few weeks!
Help, anyone else?

Roz

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2007, 11:46:08 PM »
Do you mean the process, Roz? These were almost certainly mould-blown.

BTW, I just happened to channel-swap onto 'What Did The Ancients Do For Us" (Adam Hart-Davies) on UKTV History tonight, and they demonstrated mould blowing.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2007, 07:40:39 AM »
Roz all three vases are mould blown, whether by machine or hand, into what appears to be the same mould design. Yours and Cat's have had no hand finishing. Mine has a ground and polished pontil mark and the neck has been shaped by hand to flare it, which is presumably what the designer intended. It is fairly safe to speculate they were made 30 plus years apart. Mine almost certainly dates from about the 1930s because it contains uranium, possibly earlier but not much later. Whether they were made by the same company is up to speculation - moulds and designs moved between factories and even countries.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2007, 10:01:37 AM »
Just to throw another piece in the mix........I remembered this 3.5" amber jug :

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10086/smallerDSCN0907.jpg

Base :
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10086/smallerDSCN0906.jpg

View down :
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10086/smallerDSCN0910.jpg

The glass of the jug is thicker.  If you feel inside the vase there are definite hollows at the back of each diamond, the jug is smoother inside.  On the outside, the vase has definite lines/hatching around each diamond, the jug doesn't.  The base of the vase has the pattern over all of it, the base of the jug has a polished pontil. 

I thought I remembered reading somewhere about "drawn optic", and that some patterns were associated with particular companies.  I had Webbs in mind for this jug and thought it was c.1920s.

Christine - I'm still learning and I just can't see how Roz and my vases could have been blown at all.  I had thought they must have been made by glass being poured into a complete mould as they are moulded all over. 

I've just had a closer look and found that on one side the diamonds are no longer regular - they have a wavy/curved edge - have tried to show this in another picture :

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10086/smallerDSCN0915.jpg

Roz - does yours have this too?

David - wish I'd known about the programme - if you see it's being repeated would you email me please  :-*

Cat

Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2007, 10:10:34 AM »
Now that jug is going down the diamond-optic-moulded path! I also have one in amber, quite large and heavy, with a ground/polished pontil mark, but would hesitate to guess who made it.

The link to the 'What The Ancients Did For Us' programme is here:
http://www.open2.net/whattheancients/romans.html

It mentions large windows and double-glazing, but not the mould-blowing! Boo! :P

Impossible to say when it'll be repeated, but I will look out for it. I'll also start a Museum thread about this, as more people will spot it.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2007, 12:27:18 PM »
Our vases are blown into a mould - you can tell because the pattern can be felt on the inside and the outside. You can't just pour glass into a mould like you can ceramics - slip and molten glass have completely different properties. You start with a gob of glass on the end of a pipe, pop the gob inside a mould and then air is blown into the gob till it expands to the shape of the mould. Blowing can be manual or machine. In pressing, the gob of glass is dropped in to a mould and then a plunger squishes the glass up the sides of the mould. The inside of the glass has the same pattern as the plunger. It would just be too complicated to press such a diamond pattern - too much aligning and too costly. Optic moulded is something else... anyone.

The amber jug I would say was made in the same way, with the handle and the lip being manually done. With its polished pontil, it is probably of a similar vintage to my vase (with its polished pontil). The lack of definition is probably a result of a well-worn mould and/or reheating during the final hand shaping.

For the vases and the jug, the difference we are really talking about is time. My green vase and the jug were hand-made, probably pre-war. The blue and amber vases were machine made post-war. BUT the techniques are, to all intents and purposes, the same

Offline Roz

• Members
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2007, 12:21:59 AM »
Just to throw another piece in the mix........I remembered this 3.5" amber jug :

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10086/smallerDSCN0907.jpg

Base :
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10086/smallerDSCN0906.jpg

View down :
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10086/smallerDSCN0910.jpg

The glass of the jug is thicker.  If you feel inside the vase there are definite hollows at the back of each diamond, the jug is smoother inside.  On the outside, the vase has definite lines/hatching around each diamond, the jug doesn't.  The base of the vase has the pattern over all of it, the base of the jug has a polished pontil. 

I thought I remembered reading somewhere about "drawn optic", and that some patterns were associated with particular companies.  I had Webbs in mind for this jug and thought it was c.1920s.

Christine - I'm still learning and I just can't see how Roz and my vases could have been blown at all.  I had thought they must have been made by glass being poured into a complete mould as they are moulded all over. 

I've just had a closer look and found that on one side the diamonds are no longer regular - they have a wavy/curved edge - have tried to show this in another picture :

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10086/smallerDSCN0915.jpg

Roz - does yours have this too?

Cat

Cat - On close inspection, my vase does have that wavy line. I've been reading Hajdamach, and wondered if we should be referring to the pattern as "pineapple" or "honeycomb" rather than diamond? Although we all seem to know what we are talking about.

David - I think I had worked out that it was mould blown, but I also thought the vase must have been finished by hand, out of the mould, to make the neck. Now that we think there's a "seam" where the mould joined, maybe it didn't need to be hand finished? I've only seen a theoretical explanation of mould blowing and read about the method in books. It would be interesting to see a real demonstration of the technique.

My vase is currently sitting on the "waiting" shelf. Serendipity will work eventually and we'll know where these vases come from. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand