No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bohemian engraved drinking glass  (Read 2562 times)

Offline norman warbreck

• Members
Bohemian engraved drinking glass
« on: January 12, 2009, 03:06:36 PM »
this one has two men hunting birds standing in the marshes, one with rifle and the other picking up the "Prize"
reverse of glass in yellow
base in several colors.
been told that its c1840 and perhaps bohemian....andy ideas please.

Sklounion

Re: Bohemian engraved drinking glass
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 04:44:40 PM »
This is one for Jindrich, who I know has a very fine collection of Bohemian and Czech glasses of this type.
Although I have had success in identifying one item, I do not feel qualified to comment on a piece that might date to @ 100 years before I was born.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 10:00:13 PM »
What a nifty piece!  Shows nicely how much was cut away to make the facets.  I wonder if they recovered the removed glass for reuse.

I'll be interested to see if Jindrich can ID the maker or region.  I agree with your other info - Bohemian, 1840s, give or take a couple decades.

Jindrich - something I've been curious about for quite a while that sort of relates to this:  do you know if Biedermeier pieces were ever pressed or mold blown to form the general shape, then cut to either provide detail or sharpen the pattern?  How common was pressing in 19th C Bohemia?  There's a short chapter about it in Pazaurek's Gläser der Empire- und Biedermeierzeit, but the German is a bit beyond my ability (I hate those sentences that are 1/4 page long!).
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Sklounion

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 10:26:58 PM »
Kristi,
Press-moulding as a technique arrives in the Bohemian lands in the 1840s, Jindrich, forgive me if I get this wrong, but off the top of my head, Buquoy, Harrach were the first users, but by 1855, when Samuel and Salomon Reich opened their pressed glass plant at Krasno nad Becvou, Bohemian pressed glass was very well established.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 10:59:11 PM »
Pazaurek says, I believe, something about Johann Mayr of Adolph showing pressed glass in 1836 at an exhibit in Prague.  Also Josef Lobmeyr started pressing in 1836 in Marienthal.  I think that's right, anyway:  "Ebenfalls 1836 hat auch Josef Lobmeyer (Ludwigs Vater) in Marienthal in Slavonien die Pressglaserzeugung eingeführt."

My main query really relates to cutting "figured" blanks, i.e. those that have some of the design already present.  I've seen Biedermeier pieces that look cut, but they somehow don't look quite right.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 06:39:25 PM »
Good evening friends,
We should rather resignate to the challenge estimate the manufacturer of this nice piece.

In books we cand find several options - Adolfshütte or Meyrs Neffe factory, Egermann in Haida, J.B. Eisner, Harrach, Riedel.... southern or northern Bohemia, who knows.

Simmilar scene is displayed at piece from UMPRUM catalogue of collection of Bohemian glass,  1800 - 1860, item 117 - attributed to Haida, Friedrich Egermann (about 1840). More information you can also find in the

Walter Spiegel - Böhmische Glässer, Heyne Verlag München, 1976 - ISBN 3-353-41170-6

Jindrich

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 06:48:40 PM »
I found another book.

Walter Spiegl (not Spiegel as I wrote before) , Biedermeier Gläser, Keyser Verlag, München 1981 - ISBN 3 - 87405 -143 -9

Simmilar colours are diplayed at piece attributed to Nordböhmen (North Bohemia) about 1935. So Norman s estimation about 1940 seems to be reasonable.

Jindrich

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 06:50:21 PM »
1835, 1840 - I really need a pint   >:D

Offline norman warbreck

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 11:00:22 AM »
wow....Jindra thanks for all that reseach and information.....i so seldom find pieces like this and donot have all the books as my study area is more english and european porcelain.the glass is a new venture for me......many many thanks to all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand