No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Latest find, possibly Rindskoph?  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Paul ADK

• Members
Latest find, possibly Rindskoph?
« on: March 04, 2007, 04:41:34 PM »
In our local auctioneers lexicon, there are only two types of iridescent art glass.  If it is not Tiffany, it must be Loetz.  This one was attributed to Loetz.  My guess would be Rindskopf.  The knockdown price was within reason however, and I am now the proud owner.

The height is 8".  The width at the top is 2 13/16", the base is about 3 5/8".   It appears to have been mouth blown, with no obvious pontil.

There are three things I would like to know about the vase:
  A) Is the vase in fact Rindskopf?
  B) If so, from what line?
  C) What would be the approximate date of manufacture?

Thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
Re: Latest find, possibly Rindskoph?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 02:16:59 PM »
Best regference for identying this kind of thing is the wonderful

www.loetz.com

Then go the through appropriate makers -lots more than just Loetz

But I can't see anything quite like yours there

regards

Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul ADK

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 01:29:09 AM »
Mike:

Thank you for your reply.  My initial conjecture that the vase may be Rindskopf, was made after looking at the site you referenced, along with another excellent site on Loetz and Bohemian Glass hosted (if that is the correct word) by David and Gretchen Littlefield.  Between these two references and a smattering of  others, I have found quite a number of Rindskopf vases with what appear to be an identical shape to the one we purchased.  I have also found several photos of Rindskopf glass with identical, or near identical, iridescence.  What I have not found to date is any glass where both the shape and color are a good match.

Paul

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 07:23:51 AM »
While unable to give you a positive ID I can tell you that your vase is unlikely to be Rindskopf.  Not only the quality of lustering, but the simplicity of the shape point at another direction.

I have one of the blue lustered vases standing next to a Rindskopf, and the difference is striking. The Rindskopf is properly blown with a prominent wall thickness, oven decorated and with a polished pontil.  The blue luster vases are thinwalled, mould blown and with a polished rim. I have always believed that the blue luster vases were by Wilhelm Kralik, produced in the 1930s - but it could be a less familiar name. The blue lusters I have seen were all deco in style, not nouveau.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul ADK

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 12:41:42 AM »
While looking around tonight, I noticed someone is attempting to sell what appears to me to be a near exact duplicate of our vase on E-Bay (item#290089479726) as "Loetz."  Call me a skeptic.   

By the way, the glass on our vase is slightly thicker than a U.S. 25 cent piece, and the color of the glass itself, looks to be a wine or maroon.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand