No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Early Vallerystahl Information for Blue Milk Glass Cracker Jar  (Read 5105 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Early Vallerystahl Information for Blue Milk Glass Cracker Jar
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2007, 04:48:43 PM »
Marinka & Sid. Thank you for the clarifications. The item is mould blown then by Marinka's statement since the scroll is raised on both the outside & inside of the piece. Sid most of the pressed glass I'm more familar with is from the US so called elegant period of the late 20's to late 40's & in Cambridge particularily both mould blow & pressed plunger methods were used within sometimes within the same lines, e.g. some pieces were mould blown & somepieces were pressed depending on the piece. Marinka,  manufacturers in the US during the late 19th century also decorated pieces with enameled flowers & highlighted raised designs in gold, custard glass by Northwood & Heisey both come to mind, however since no EAPG group or Milk Glass group (these are large dedicated collector organizations) has been able to ID this pattern, I believe it is (as do you) european in nature. The gentleman who tipped me off to check Valerysthal is a reference author who has written in depth of Heisey's Winged Scroll & evidently (which was news to me) Winged Scroll was (to put it politely) possibly greatly influenced by a Valerysthal type design, therefore I am attempting  to find a link. While its always "fun" to try to attribute a pattern not known by many in the US its also a bit maddening. I have a tendency to forget that not all is known even in this day & age when it comes to attributing a pattern. Again thank you both for your responses & insight...they are most helpful.  Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Early Vallerystahl Information for Blue Milk Glass Cracker Jar
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 02:42:22 PM »
This is the final post on this pattern. I emailed Siegmar Geiselberger & its not Vallerysthal or Portieux. He is putting it on his website in case someone recognizes it. This will probably remain an unknown....the pattern has not been IDed by any Milk Glass or Pattern Glass collector group in the U.S. & now europe so I'm throwing in the towel on this one. He did say that it was blown pressed, unfortunately I'm not familar with that term. Thanks to all for their help. Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand