No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Modern slag glass?  (Read 4865 times)

Offline david31162

• Members
Modern slag glass?
« on: March 09, 2005, 12:00:20 AM »
Picked up for pennies yesterday on the off- chance but  when layers of dirt were removed it looked new. Surely its modern isnt it? Ive tried searches for new slag glass but no results.
David
14 cm high
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/david-dj/slag/glass30012.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/david-dj/slag/glass30013.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Modern slag glass?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 12:40:10 AM »
Hi David,

Looks ok to me and the foot seems to have ok wear also. The slag glass that I have seen all has / had a good shine to it. Take a look at a few items I show in my own site, particluarly the ones with white marbling.

http://www.btinternet.com/~kevh.glass/pages/pressed/indexpressed.htm
[Click a pic for an enlargement and brief info]
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Anonymous

Modern slag glass?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 08:45:46 AM »
Hi David

Some "slag" was manufactured in the 60's by Davidsons but this doesn't look like theirs from that period. There was also some other copies made but I dont remember the source. Anyway the crispness and the "flow" of colour on your piece looks much more in keeping with that produced late 19th C.......certainly more than a few coppers worth....I take it you've had a good feel around the piece for an embossed makers mark??

Regards

Gareth

Morgan48

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Modern slag glass?
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 10:22:00 AM »
David,

Davidson 1964 Marble glass is quite rare;  I have only had four examples through my hands, a Jobling No. 2598 Deco random geometric ashtray still showing the Rd. No. 800714 from the mould's days at Sunderland, a 296 Fan vase, a Chippendale pedestal jug, and a 292 bowl, all, if I remember correctly, marked with one of two sizes of a lion over crown trademark from newly made punches, slightly more angular than the impression from the original C19 trademark punch.

In my opinion the white glass element of Marble is not as opaque as the white glass used for the C19 slag glass.   It could be a white translucent lightshade glass.

It is well worth looking out for.   Look for Jobling/Greener flint (non-Pyrex) patterns and all Davidson patterns.   Old Victorian moulds could well have been used for Marble, perhaps still marked with the old original trademark.   Distinguishing them could be rather problematic, unless you have one of each side by side for comparison!   I am sure that most Marble is unrecognised.

See http://www.cloudglass.com for more details and photographs.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline david31162

• Members
Thanks for your replies.
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 11:10:59 PM »
Thank you for all your observations and information. I certainly agree that after looking at some of your examples the colours and marbling seem fine .
 It is the base that looks wrong. The foot ring ends in an untidy, rough seam which has not been ground or finished in any way. Ive re checked and there is no sign of a mark
Thank you
David.

Offline Morgan48

• Members
Re: Thanks for your replies.
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 11:26:07 PM »
Quote from: "david31162"
It is the base that looks wrong. The foot ring ends in an untidy, rough seam which has not been ground or finished in any way. Ive re checked and there is no sign of a mark
Thank you
David.

Hi David

Unless I am wrong and also been looking at a lot of duffs in the past 20 years the finish you describe is not that uncommon....and that goes for other types of pressed glass as well. Some of the "finishing" on a number of pieces of Davidsons cloud glass I have in fact contradicts the word itself....some of it is almost dangerous with its raw edges and seams.  

Regards

Gareth

Morgan48

Offline david31162

• Members
Modern slag glass?
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 11:59:27 PM »
Thats the kind of finishing here- none at all !
I'm glad I spent the 50p now as it looks as though it is most likely a genuine late C19th piece.
Thanks
David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand