No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 19th century Salviati Murano glassware, I think. But what is it?  (Read 1687 times)

Offline northernridge

• Members
I've been given several of these to sell for a client. Most of the items I have from this estate date to the mid-1800s. But not all, and I prefer to authenticate.

They're striking. All are generously decorated with gold aventurine and vary in patterns. The pieces consist of a square-shaped bowl nestling in a deep saucer. I'm not sure how to describe the shape -- flange? -- but both bowl and saucer measure about 8" x 8" at their widest points.

I'm told the family used these as finger bowls. But fellows on eBay boards were not so sure about either that, or their time of production. One said they'd been served food in such glassware. However, the bowls flare outward at bottom, which would seem to make them hard to clean if used for consumables.

One person kindly suggested that I post here (my first time). Thanks in advance for any help! Here's a photo:   

Mod: Photo uploaded to GlassGallery:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5487

Offline chuggy

• Members
Re: 19th century Salviati Murano glassware, I think. But what is it?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 08:17:23 PM »
Hi there
These are finger bowls and underplates, but I'm not at all sure these are Salviati and also not sure about them being 19th century either.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline northernridge

• Members
Re: 19th century Salviati Murano glassware, I think. But what is it?
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 05:35:36 PM »
Thank you, Paul.  Fingerbowls is exactly what seemed most likely to me. 

However, the jury is definitely still out regarding when and where they were made.  My client really wants me to start listing them, (I have a total of six).  But I really prefer to be sure of what I've got before attempting to describe in a listing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand