No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tinypic / NORTHWOOD .?? // More Photographs  (Read 9166 times)

Offline Morgan48

• Members

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Tinypic / NORTHWOOD .?? // More Photographs
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 12:43:22 PM »
fascinating, absolutely riveting. But what IS it?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 01:58:28 PM »
I believe it's the bottom of a bottle. Perfectly logical, depending on your perspective! :lol:  :lol:  :lol: Skol, Sue.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Morgan48

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 03:14:14 PM »
Apologies for that....I logged in in order to test the links I was quoting regarding Tinypic and was then going to delete it........but I couldn't find a delete facility.
Anyway its the bottom view of what I understand to be a Northwood bowl...except on the site that I was reccomended to go to I couldn't find the colour. My reason for buying it ( via USA Ebay ) is that the dimensions of the foot and the overall appearanve , except the rim are virtually identical to a Davidsons No21 ( ???sure...??? ) bowl. The colouring also predates one of the Davidsons orange variations by approx10 years.
And also on the Northwood site I finally after 20 years found out why the black bases with 3 feet sometimes did not fit to any of the Davidsons pieces...because Northwood were producing them.
Thats the reason for the photo BUT while its on here now....can any please provide me with some dates regarding Northwood/orange glass.

Regards and thanks

Gareth

Morgan48

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 07:19:54 PM »
I had the same question a few months ago about the same bowl in light blue - and it turned out to be Cambridge, not Northwood. They ran an almost identical production, with slight differences in colour. The year for the "azurite" blue one would be ca. 1922, but I was led to believe that true orange glass is something that doesn't occur before the thirties?

the ID came from a well documented US collector - I do not think we can be expected to have this type of documentation available, and it may not be online anywhere.

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 08:59:15 PM »
Gareth to help you out. If this is northwood, the color is called Chinese Coral. It was introduced in 1924 and since the company closed in 1925 it did not have a long run. The variation of color can be tremendous from a deep red to an orange. This period can be confusing because Northwood, Cambridge and Fenton all made similiar products. Cambridge did not make an opaque red or orange. Fenton did however. Fentons color is called Mandarin red and was produced 1933-1935. Hope this helps, Terry in Iowa

Connie

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 10:53:42 PM »
I would also like to see a picture of the entire piece.  I think I have an identical bowl

It was sold to me as Fenton and for a while I thought it was Fenton Flame.  However, I have since come to believe mine is actually made by Diamond Glass in "flame" as picture on page 114 in "Dugan/Diamond - The Story of Indiana, Pennsylvania Glass" by Heacock, Measell, and Wiggins.

It is definitely not Fenton Mandarin Red or Venetian  Red which happens to be my collecting passion  8)  Northwood Chinese Coral is very similar to Fenton Mandarin Red so I don't believe it is Northwood either.

Offline Morgan48

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 01:48:48 PM »
Right...a couple more photographs.

The one looking down into the bowl is rather boring as the orange markings are only underneath

The profile is sitting most snuggly on a Davidsons No4 base.

Does this help at all please in identity.

http://tinypic.com/22kmex

http://tinypic.com/22kml0

Regards

Gareth

Morgan48

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 07:34:57 PM »
its as i thought i have the same one in blue but no base.

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005, 11:15:11 PM »
The pictures of the entire piece changed my mind  :lol:

If it is as red as it appears in the second pictures with the orange confined to the bottom or slightly swirled in the red near the bottom, then I concur that it is most likely Northwood Chinese Coral.

My bowl is packed away right now while our house is being renovated but I will post a picture of it when it is unpacked.  It is much more orange overall with hints of yellow swirled in it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand