No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Could it be Exbor?  (Read 7487 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Could it be Exbor?
« on: March 10, 2005, 03:09:06 PM »
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Can anybody tell me what this is?  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Everybody, I've had this for a while, bought it because I liked it.  It's moulded/pressed glass. The big "bubbles" indent inwards, the tiny "bubbles" stick out, so it's not really a bubbly bit of glass at all.

http://tinypic.com/21r1it" http://tinypic.com/21r37k"
http://tinypic.com/21r3ad" http://tinypic.com/21r3g1"
http://tinypic.com/21r3iv"

I saw a bit of a similar overall shape listed on eBay, a tapered square outside with a round inside, with a textured surface. The one on eBay had an olive-green inside and was listed as Exebor. The base has a big round hollow. I'll calm down with pictures soon! Cheers, Sue (not a boy)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Could it be Exbor?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 03:21:12 PM »

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Could it be Exbor?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 04:29:52 PM »
Thank you very much indeed, Frank. :D
I'm still not quite sure if mine might be like this. I think those are better quality and they look as if they've been cut and polished and I don't think mine has. The second link IS an interesting site! Mine is finished off in exactly the same tidy way at the edges, but the colour is not what I would call "crystal clear", it has a very slight yellow tinge to it. Also there are a couple of small "creases" in the glass, where it has been pressed into the mould. Thanks very much for replying to my query. I don't feel nearly so left out ! :D  Cheers, Sue.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Could it be Exbor?
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 05:12:49 PM »
That seems to be the only Exbor design on-line.

Your piece obviously had a lot of work put into the mould and bo reason why it should match the one example seen so far.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Could it be Exbor?
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 07:47:20 PM »
Sue your vase is pressed unlike the Exbor pieces Frank put forward. But it was not a bad guess at all -  I have handled this vase before and would have placed it stylistically in Czechoslovakia. Le Casson, where are you when we need you!

Sklounion

Could it be Exbor?
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 10:13:05 PM »
Hi, I'm here, skulking in the back-ground, sorry, been doing some follow-through stuff for other GMB folks, and other things :lol:
Can you please post a clear image of the base. Will look at it asap.
1st glance says not Exbor. Most if not all Exbor items are blown, or cast, then cut/polished, to the enth degree....and few, if any, examples, do not carry the acid-etched Exbor mark to the base. I have located a rare Cz archive, and will ask the curator to have a look, in case this appears there. Is it ok to forward a link to the image?
Beg your understanding, will be with you shortly,

Marcus

Sklounion

Could it be Exbor?
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 10:32:34 PM »
Thanks for the links, Frank.  Neither of the vases on the german site are Pavel Hlava, both were designed by Oldrich Lipsky and date to 1960. These are sommerso type, blown in the round, so to speak, and then cut to create flat facets. Absolutely stunning, as either appear to be flat plane vases, or, when turned through 45 degrees, a wavy sided vase. These appear in square or rectangular, when viewed from the top. brown/ clear v common, as are the grey/clear combinations. amethyst/clear less so, and few, very few in blue/amethyst, which are three layer sommerso.
Also be aware that Libera glass, have issued examples similar, though cut on one plane only, recently. V expensive, and with no acknowledgement of who was there first. Lipsky, with only one arm, was, in my estimation, a major talent, who, like so many designers in Czechoslovakia, have been consigned to obscurity, by the obsession with Vizner, Libensky/Brychtova et al.

As I said previously, send me decent images, and if I have info, or can find it, I will post, once I'm in a position to comment further.

Regards to you all,

Monsieur Le Poulailleur, Marcus (alias Poultry Guard-dog en France)

Sklounion

Could it be Exbor?
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 10:41:55 PM »
Pressed? Probably.
Exbor? Probably not.
Sklarny Inwald/Sklo Union, very possible.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Could it be Exbor?
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 11:14:12 PM »
Thanks to everybody for their interest, and help.  :D I shall try to get a good image of the base tomorrow morning. There are no marks on the base. There are no seam marks, except perhaps, around the top edge, where the little slanty bit meets the outside wall. Overall it is not totally smooth, but has a sort of mini-cellulite texture, so perhaps it might be cast, with only the rim and the outside of the base polished. The base has a big round hollow, just like the Exbor pieces. Overall, I'd say the Exbor pieces are most likely to have been the inspiration for this, as the basic shape is nearly exactly the same. However, although it is a lovely piece, I'd say it was not top, top quality. The colour, the odd crease and the cellulite let it down a little. (I know the feeling well  :( :roll: ). I have no problems at all with the images being sent/linked to somebody else, but you'll have to tolerate my beginner's attempts at using the camera, which is not the best, also, I never managed to get to grips with an old-fashioned camera either. Good luck with the chicks, Marcus, their tlc must be of primary importance after such a journey! Cheers, Sue.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Could it be Exbor?
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2005, 07:10:49 AM »
Just checked the archives and ventured upon the designs of Jan Sylvester Drost and Eryka Trzewik-Drost for Zabkowice glassworks in Poland in the early seventies. Stylewise these are very close to what was made at Sklo Union around the same time. Your vase may well be one from a series called "Asteroid" - though I have not seen this specific shape.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand