No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Amber cased jug  (Read 6364 times)

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
Amber cased jug
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 04:54:21 PM »
Below is the response that I have received from Corning Museum of Glass:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mr. Lethbridge,

Thank you for your enquiry about an amber water pitcher. I must confess that I am not an expert on this type of glass. Such glass has been made in England in the 1880s, but it was also copied later, e.g. in Italy in the 1970s. Several companies in England shared the earlier production.

If you want to do some research in this area, I recommend the Rakow library of The Corning Museum of Glass. The catalog is accessible online (http://rakow.cmog.org).

With my best wishes,
Yours,
Dedo von Krosigk

--
Dr. Dedo von Kerssenbrock-Krosigk
Curator of European Glass
The Corning Museum of Glass
One Museum Way
Corning, New York 14830-2253
Tel. +1 607 974 8312

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am pretty sure that it is not of the 1970s but will have to accept that we don't know who made it or when.   I will place it on my shelf with the other water pitchers and enjoy the view.  If  I come across any other information I will share it with this group.

Thank you to all who contributed their thoughts and suggestions.

Sid

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand