No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Both uranium and selenium in a weird glass basket? Czech?  (Read 5538 times)

Offline Andy

• Members
Re: Both uranium and selenium in a weird glass basket? Czech?
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 09:02:02 PM »
Terry,
i hope we are not hijacking the topic, im sure Anne will agree we are on the right track ;)
I have a couple of these bowls, in different colours, and another, the best one, i gave to my Sister as a present, ( all my family and friends now know they will get a piece of glass for a bday or Xmas pressie,
and in my defence they are getting better over the years)
I'm sure yours is Skrdlovice, probably 60s-80s maybe Marcus will confirm :o
Coynes, i presume , the importer, have you googled it?
Ive never thought about the UV effect, why not try yours!
I'm sure Annes piece is probably Skrdlovice, in my opinion, a great investment for the future ;D
Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Sklounion

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 10:42:29 PM »
Hi,

Given that I am not an expert on Skrdlovice/Beranek, my views are:

These are probably 1950s, and show signs, of being designed by the Beraneks themselves, or by one of the 10 members of the design team, mostly unknowns, with the exception of Jan Kotik, working under Veliskova, who was put in charge of the works, following the decision to keep the works, rather than liquidate it.

Now, before people get too worked up over value and collectability, the 1950's period, with the exception of items by Kotik, (such as his "propeller" vases), saw the production of items, strongly influenced by Murano, and the Scandinavian countries. This started to change late in the 1950s. Much of this work was produced in large quantities, and if Glassexport had a run on demand, these were frequently made elsewhere, for example Chribska.

Whilst it is true that during the 1960s and 70s, Skrdlovice gained a reputation for fine, innovative designs, from the newer generation of glass artists, it was also used as a place to trial designs, which would then be put into mass-production elsewhere.

Skrdlovice is known to have used several levels of production.

Unikat: Under Czech law, this term can be used for any edition of 10 or less items. These were mainly sold through the Art Centrum and Dilo gallery system in Czechoslovakia.

Small series: This, depending, on which sources you read, is generally seen as editions of under 500 pieces, or 250 pieces.

Large series: concensus is an edition of no greater than 1250 pieces.

However, and this is the major caveat, many items have been in production for MANY years. It would be unrealistic to assume that if an item went into production in 1968, for example, that in 2007, they will only now have reached 900 of 1250 pieces. The earlier the initial production date, the less likely it is to be important, if it still appears in the current Beranek catalogue, then it is not likely to become scarce, rare, or necessarily even valuable.

Even the fact of a major named designer, ie Vizner, does not help, as many Vizner designed items have been in continuous production since the late 1960s and early 70s.

This is an area, full of potential pitfalls, for the glass investor. If you buy the item because you like it, all to the good. If you buy it as an investment.... make sure you know precisely what you are buying.

Regards,

Marcus

Text © M. Newhall 2007

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 02:39:26 PM »
Marcus,
i bow to your knowledge ;D
Can i just check, really on Annes behalf, i presume you do agree that her piece
is probably Skrdlovice? You werent just talking about the bowls that followed?
Thanks a lot,
Andy
 8)
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Sklounion

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 03:36:50 PM »
I feel it probably to be Czech, possibly the design originating from Skrdlovice, but given my note above, it could feasably have been made at a different factory. That is as good as it gets, as, though I have a large amount of original Beranek related material, this specific item does not appear there.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2007, 08:40:08 PM »
Thank you everyone for your comments and help.  It's great seeing other similar pieces so thanks for that Andy and Terry :).  I'm sure they are related.  Mine has some of that same lime green that is seen so beautifully on Terry's.

Marcus - what can I say?  A big thank you once more for sharing your knowledge :hug:

p.s. Andy - I've started giving glass as pressies too ;)  but I'll be hanging on to this one I think and it will be added to my growing collection of Czech glass.
Anne E.B

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2007, 10:32:44 PM »
Both manganese and selenium, the latter usually with cobalt, can be used as decolourisers depending on melting conditions.  I can't imagine uranium being any use for this although, as I keep saying, I am hardly up to date!

Adam D.

Offline Paul ADK

• Members
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2007, 01:15:45 AM »
I would not be that surprised to find strange combinations in any country's glass.  Historically, at least here in the states, if a batch of glass was a little short, factory workers have been known to throw in a batch of cullet to bring the measurement up to specs.  Since they were not so careful about colors, all sorts of strange combinations show up.   End users apparently did not particularly care if a canning jar came out citron or apple green instead of the "true Ball Blue" or if a whiskey bottle was lemon yellow as opposed to the more normal honey amber.  If the product served it's intended purpose, both buyers and sellers were happy.   

My guess is the thinking would be glass is glass.  If it looks OK under normal light on a store shelf, that is all that counts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand