Glass Discussion & Research. No ID requests here please. > Bohemia, Czechoslovakia, Czech Republic, Austria

Re: E. Downey

(1/9) > >>

Sklounion:
Please,
Does anyone have any information about the role of E. Downey, within the UK glass importer Vitrea?
Who was he/she? From what date were Vitrea commissioning Downey to produce designs?
Anything at all about this person, would be gratefully received,
TIA,
regards,
Marcus

Sklounion:
Just a note:

Downey's designs were made by Sklarny Inwald and Spojene Ceske Sklarny. I would like to clarify whether Downey was designing free-lance for the Czechoslovakian companies, or whether the designs were licensed to those companies, by Vitrea/Downey. There seem to be similarities to the John Jenkins and Co Ltd/Inwald "Barolac" situation in the 1930s.
TIA,
Regards,
Marcus

Adam:
This name is ringing very faint bells with me.  My mould-making colleague at Sowerbys used to talk about a pre-war designer (employee?, contractor?, consultant?) and I think the name MIGHT have been Downey.  Any possible connection?

Adam D.

Sklounion:
Hi Adam,
Between the wars and into the 1950s would be the right time-frame.
There is a serious probability that Vitrea commissioned items from both UK and Czechoslovakian glass-works, so Downey may well have designed items made by Sowerby.
Thanks very much for your assistance, much appreciated,
Marcus

Frank:
Did Vitrea also set up in the UK then?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version