No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Re: E. Downey  (Read 24112 times)

Offline Sue C

• Members
Re: E. Downey
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2007, 04:35:10 PM »
www.downey.co.uk the company history mentions Alfred Downey

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2007, 05:39:28 PM »
Publishers E Downey (Active 1900)
W & D Downey were the photographers that produced an important portrait of King George V.
Now +A and A.J.

And Downey & Co are also known for the Postage stamp engravings of Harold Wolfenden who bought the company from Downey. Bizarre the that it was the W & D Downey portrait of George V that became known as the Downey head stamps.

Some coincidences here for sure.... but we are talking of an E Downey some 30 years later than the company left Downey hands.

But still no connection to the publishers E Downey. so Downey & Co might be a red herring.

Marcus did say that Downey is a common Irish name.

Sklounion

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2007, 07:02:57 PM »
Hi,
Thank you all.
With all your assistance, progress seems to be being made.
It is becoming clear that Downey did draw up designs for companies other than Vitrea. There is an increasing body of evidence that Downey also designed in his own right, though some confusion as to the status of Vitrea and its links to Glassexport at that time.
However, I have managed to find the current contact for Vitrea, and am hoping their company records may reveal something.
Clearly Downey designed work that was produced at three of the factories, and clear overlap of production numbers, possibly indicating the popularity of certain items, needing to be made simultaneously by two production units.

On Downey's time-line, we now know was working in 1963, definitely in the 1950s, and one Hermanova hut pattern number suggests 1947-48. Allowing for education and training, maybe military service, E Downey could possibly have been born between 1910 and 1920.

I have a couple of calls to make this evening, so we may have something concrete later.

My thanks again to all of you,

regards,

Marcus

Sklounion

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2007, 09:11:59 PM »
With the phone calls tonight, Downey has not made an appearance yet.
However, a former member of the glass import community of the period has been found, and I shall be talking to him in the morning.
The surprise?
That his wife is the daughter of a 1920's UK Joseph Inwald agent, who designed/drew up glass in the 1920s and who is believed to have had some training with Inwald at that time.
This could not have happened without the help and support of board members, and the continuing assistance of current and past members of the glass import community.
Thanks.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2007, 09:44:49 PM »
This has taken some interesting twists and underlines the complexity of the industrial processes of large scale glass production for international markets. Nice to that such people get recognition in the end.

Sklounion

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2007, 08:17:09 PM »
Hi,
 A chance comment from my father-in-law and a new avenue to explore.
He mentioned that at one point he was a member of the Association of Engineering and Shipbuilding Draughtmen, apparently the first union to have a minimum wage agreement with employers. I have no idea when they started, but 1920s? certainly until the 1960s, but became DATA, and then swallowed by AEU/AEWU. Apparently the Association covered most technical drawing offices. Both AESD and DATA appear to have published technical hand-books on die (mould) design.
Any GMB members (not General, Municipal and Boilermakers ;D) who are also members of the engineering union know anything about AESD/DATA, and whether the AEU has their archives? Would they be held by Ruskin College?
Just wondering if at that time, Downey might have been a member, as AESD appear to have been a closed-shop union.
Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2007, 08:27:44 PM »
Hi Marcus,
There is some information here: http://www.warwick.ac.uk/services/library/mrc/ead/101da.htm
The Association of Engineering and Shipbuilding Draughtsmen was established in 1913.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2007, 08:34:37 PM »
My father was a draughtsman in a small London Drawing office from circa 1940, no unions there at all.

Sklounion

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2007, 08:37:45 PM »
Hi Della,
Thank you, that was quick.
The Access Restriction of 30 years???
I'll have to phone them to find out what the implications of that are, and whether it applies to all papers, or just the later stuff.
It will be a little daft if it covers everything.
Thanks again and regards,
Marcus

Offline RDowney

• Members
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2011, 01:06:34 AM »
I am the grandson of Alfred James Downey and have his records. I have just seen the query from 2007 on the Internet. How can I help you please send email to richard  AT  downeyr.freeserve.co.uk.

Thanks
Richard Downey

Mod:  email address AT sign modified for safety reasons

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand