No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Re: E. Downey  (Read 24142 times)

Offline AndrewPerrott

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glassware
    • England
Re: Re: E. Downey
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2012, 08:57:43 AM »
Hello Anne, I regret that I do not have pictures or photos of designs by Downey, however there are two items that readily spring to mind
and they are a water set named Joanna and a fruit set by the name of Scandia. Both items were designed with a Sandinavian influence
and I will produce drawings for you and send them at a later date. Downey made designs for a wide spectrum of glass which included
soda glass, lead crystal which were hand made and also pressed ware. 
 Andrew Perrott.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2012, 06:49:12 PM »
Hi Andrew, thank you, that'd be very useful. Did any of Downey's designs include trinket sets please? This is my main area of interest and am always looking for more information about them as we've so many unanswered questions about these sets.

I also found a birth in 1911 of an Edwin William Downey in 1991 in Mile End London, who appears to have married in Dartford Kent in 1946 to a Doris Lucas, and who died in Bromley Kent in 1986. Does this sound like the same man? The dates would seem to fit with someone working at Vitrea in the 1950s...
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline AndrewPerrott

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glassware
    • England
Re: E. Downey
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2012, 07:58:04 PM »
Hello Anne,
It has been some time since I last posted. I have made a drawing of the water set and fruit set designed by Downey however it is too large to form an attachment. Never mind I will draw something rather smaller.
I do not know if Downey designed any trinket sets, never the less i will ask a friend,who worked as Managing Director at the time if he can shed any light.
Your information concerning the birth in 1911 of an Edwin Downey fits the dates however I think it is rather speculative.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2013, 02:17:20 AM »
We can always help with re-sizing scans Andrew

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2019, 01:39:21 AM »
I *think* I have finally tracked down E. Downey - or more correctly, Edwin Stanley Downy. From online genealogical records I have established the following:
Edwin Stanley Downy, born 23 Feb 1905 in Camberwell, London.
1911 Census: father was Henry Downy, a printer machine minder living in Chalk Farm, London, his mother was Laura and by 1911 he had 2 brothers and a sister.
1931-32: on London electoral register
1934: married Marie E Constantine in Camberwell
1939 Register: Listed as a Table Glassware Designer, living at 9 Beech Gardens, Gateshead with his wife Marie E Downy (which would possibly tie in with Adam Dodds' memory of a designer called Downy being connected with Sowerby's before WW2). 
1946: on London electoral register in Wembley with his wife Marie E Downy
From 1947: on electoral register in Ealing with his wife Marie E Downy
1977: died in Ealing
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand