No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Re: E. Downey  (Read 24148 times)

Sklounion

Re: E. Downey
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 03:47:22 PM »
Hi,
E Downey appears to have acquired greater importance this afternoon, with the receipt of a message from Vaclav Hanus.
"this man belongs also to the authors of Czech pressed glass (or pressed glass produced by the Czech glassworks)".
Vaclav Hanus also gives the info that "Downey, who was a designer residing in London, working for Skloexport".

So who was he?

For Hanus to consider that this man should rank alongside the major Czech names of post-war pressed glass, suggests he was held in high regard, by the first generation of post-war designers.

Any further ideas on how to find him?

TIA,

Marcus

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 04:14:30 PM »
Vaguely...based on the assumption that family tended to remain in related professions in first half of twentieth Century.

Publishers E Downey (Active 1900)

W & D Downey were the photographers that produced an important portrait of King George V.

Mod: adding link to this image... http://www.mediastorehouse.com/low.php?xp=media&xm=940545

Just perhaps their was a relationship and those should be realatively easy to track for descendants. Did you get company records for Vitrea? Perhaps he was a director, then you get a home address.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 05:41:16 PM »
Reminds me of my pursuit for the designer of Swirl :-\

However, as mentioned, I'll ask around: members of the Goodden and Casson families might be able to help.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Sklounion

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 10:53:28 PM »
Thanks.
I am finding it very difficult to believe that someone, supposedly that significant, cannot be traced.
As discussed with David, surely professional body membership should throw up something, RDI, SIA, but currently the big zero....
TIA,
Marcus

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 11:22:56 PM »
Because he was working in London does not mean that he was English. Could have been Irish, Channel Islander, Somewhere in Commonwealth or US.

Sklounion

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2007, 09:49:54 AM »
Now Downey is bugging me.....
Thanks to both Bernard Cavalot and Chris Stewart for your help.
Downey was not an MSIA, nor MSIAD, was not at the RCA, or the Royal Academy Schools, does not appear in the National Archives,
nor any entries in the National Art Library, nor Westminster Reference Library's Art and Design department, never exhibited at the RA, was not an RDI, as far as I can tell.

The RSA, through their excellent librarian, Joan Simpson (I hope that is spelt correctly) are trawling their archives.

Does anyone have any info on Alfred James Downey, also lived in London, a painter and illustrator who did exhibit at the RA, 1909-35, so could theoretically be his father???

Any other avenues to try?

Thanks and regards,

Marcus

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 12:27:50 PM »
I think you can rest a little, Marcus. No need to feel bugged anymore. I have heard from the source you asked me to follow up - and yes, they know of E. Downey.

Mr Downey was employed by Vitrea as a draughtsman - he was a "competent draughtsman" who produced technical drawings.

I'll email you the rest (it doesn't say much more than above) as I don't like to copy/quote a private email.
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2007, 03:28:52 PM »
Does anyone have any info on Alfred James Downey, also lived in London, a painter and illustrator who did exhibit at the RA, 1909-35, so could theoretically be his father???

An Alfred James Downey's birth was registered in Islington between April-June 1882, and he appears on the 1901 Census in Holloway aged 19, occupation Heraldic Engraver. Could this be him, Marcus? If so I'll dig a bit further if you want.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Sklounion

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2007, 04:12:34 PM »
Hi Glen, Thanks very much.
Anne, please do follow that, it might explain the competency of E. Downey.
Thanks to all of you again,
Regards,
Marcus

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2007, 04:19:58 PM »
I'm waiting for replies from Goodden and Casson family members. In the meantime, I have found mention of an Alan Downey, who wrote a book The Story of Waterford Glass, published by Carthage Press, Waterford, in 1952. Source was Glassmakers of Stourbridge & Dudley... by Jason Ellis

Edit: Alan Downey
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand