No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Loetz Oceanik Wellenoptisch Vase  (Read 6585 times)

Connie

Loetz Oceanik Wellenoptisch Vase
« on: March 13, 2005, 02:38:32 PM »
I have a vase which I believe is a Loetz Oceanik Wellenoptisch vase.

Here is my vase .

Here is a website which shows the same vase at least to my untrained eyes. (Although I think my pics are better)  :lol:

I recently received one of those anonymous e-mails which said -" that is not Loetz."  I thanked them for the info and asked for details and of course, they never responded.

So am I wrong?  If so, what are the distiguishing features?

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 03:30:31 PM »
It certainly looks like the one on that site - but I do not know enough about Lötz to see any inconsistency. Very interesting link though!

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 03:12:23 AM »
It maybe just the difference in the angles but Connie's one appears to have a shorter neck than the other one. Could this be a variation of being hand-made? Otherwise the body of both looks the same to my (also untrained!)  eyes.

I love the colour of yours Connie - I'm very partial to green glass like this.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Adam A

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 10:04:29 AM »
Reason for height difference is that the rim of Connie's vase has been ground down. The one on the Loetz website seems to have a hand sheared fire-polished rim, as one would expect. This means that if Connie's is Loetz it has possibly been damaged at some stage and then ground down. I am not commenting on whether or not it is Loetz as this is not my field of expertise. Posted in a rush!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 01:20:03 PM »
Why not ask David, his email is on the first page of that website. Better still invite him to respond on this thread...

Connie

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 02:01:25 PM »
Bump

I have been out of town.  But I asked David for his opinion and to please join us here.

Connie

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 12:42:25 PM »
Just a short follow-up.  I did contact Dave and asked for his opinion on my piece and asked that he join us here.

He replied by e-mail and confirmed that my piece is Loetz Oceanic and the same as the one he has pictured on his site.  He had no comment on the top edge finish although I did ask him.

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2005, 01:07:23 PM »
Quote from: "grayhorse"
He replied by e-mail and confirmed that my piece is Loetz Oceanic and the same as the one he has pictured on his site.  He had no comment on the top edge finish although I did ask him.

To my (admittedly untrained) eyes, the vase on the website looks to have a cut edge like yours, as do many of the other vases shown on the other pages!   :shock:

Incidentally, my mother-in-law has a rose bowl which I was told is Czech, and looks to me very like Loetz although I have no idea if it is or not.  (Can't get a pic of it at present as it currently resides in m-i-l's cabinet!  :roll:  - will try when next visiting.)

However, m-i-l tells me it once had a metal 'collar' (could have been like the Loetz Kolo Moser Olympia vase on page 7 of David's website) or maybe a grill - it is rose bowl shaped, so this is a definite possibility - but it was thrown away years ago as it became corroded.  

I was wondering if anyone knows whether it's possible to get replacement collars or grills made for this sort of vase / bowl?   :?

Leni

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2005, 01:17:52 PM »
Any competent silver smith can make you one.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2005, 03:14:24 PM »
Quote from: "Frank"
Any competent silver smith can make you one.

But I suppose if one wanted to match the original, one would have to find out the maker of the bowl,  :shock:  find out what the original collar or grill looked like,  :? and then find a competent silver-smith prepared to take on the commission, preferably without necessitating the removal of one or more of one's limbs to pay for it   :roll:

Leni  :wink:
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand