No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Butterfly And Berry Carnival Glass  (Read 4204 times)

Offline Tony H

• Members
    • http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=10002
Butterfly And Berry Carnival Glass
« on: April 29, 2004, 08:04:14 PM »
Hi
Can anyone tell me about Fenton Butterfly and Berry. Glen, your book says alternate panals of a butterfly and berry,  I have looked at Dave Doty web site, this is the same, a lidded sugar from the table set, has the ball a claw feet and lid has a ball and claw handle but the pattern is two panals of butterfly one of berry 9 panals in all, What can you tell me about this piece, many thanks for any help.

Kind regard
Tony H in NZ

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Butterfly & Berry
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 09:10:33 PM »
This is where I soooo wish that the old message board was accessible. A similar question to this was posed some months ago, and I gave a full answer then.

On most of the Fenton Butterfly & Berry pieces, the panels show the butterfly and the berry motifs alternately. However, as far as I am aware, on just two shapes (the creamer and the covered sugar) there are two butterfly panels and then one berry panel.

If you have the book "Fenton the first 25 years" by Heacock, you can see on p 119, an original Fenton ad for various shapes in this pattern. It is possible to see that the creamer and the covered sugar have the double butterfly panels.
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Butterfly & Berry Carnival Glass
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 09:24:21 PM »
Hi
Glen many thanks for your help ( I will keep my day job!!!)

Kind regards Tony H In NZ

PS if you look at my photo album I found another piece BRITISH MAKE do not know pattern

This board is not easy to post on tried to post reply but said my name was already in use!! yes its me!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand