No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Crystal Wine Glass : ID= Walsh, Farquharson  (Read 4622 times)

Offline Tony H

• Members
    • http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=10002
Crystal Wine Glass : ID= Walsh, Farquharson
« on: March 11, 2005, 09:17:42 AM »
Hi Everyone
I have a crystal wine glass which is signed on the base, I believe in diamond point, I think it may be French, can anyone help with ID.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/d554to/Nameindiamondpoit.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/d554to/Crystalwineglass.jpg

Many thanks Tony H

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 09:27:41 AM »
Could it be Clyne Farquharson?

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 11:29:16 AM »
Tony & Frank,

Yes it is Walsh / Farquharson / Leaf pattern.   It is not illustrated in the pattern book reproduced in Reynolds, but a little detective work shows it to be one of a number of glasses listed as pattern A5883, dating to c. 1937–38, as it is just 23 patterns on from the last of the Walsh George VI Coronation commemoratives (Edward VIII abdication broadcast 12 December 1936 – Coronation 12 May 1937).   Quite a late pattern for Leaf, launched PG February 1936.

The list with "SELLS" price is:
    Liqueur 48/-
    Port 60/-
    Sherry 60/-
    Claret 72/-
    Champ Tall 9
6/-
Champ Low 78/-
Goblet 114/-
¼pt Tum 57/-
½pt Tum 66/-
Finger 78/-
Ice Plate 101/-
B. Dec 27/6
Spirit Dec A5765 16/9

FILED
Richard Haworth, Blackburn[/list]Indistinct lettering in blue.   The "SELLS" price is presumably trade ex-factory gate.   I am not sure whether for a dozen or half-dozen glasses.   The Blackburn company could be either a retailer or a wholesaler.

I am certain that your glass is what is listed as a Goblet.   The high price would be justified by the size and the complex stem with what looks like a cut knop.

I am sure that Eric Reynolds would appreciate a copy of your photographs.

Nice find — well spotted.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Tony H

• Members
    • http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=10002
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 06:37:13 PM »
Hi
Bernard and Frank Many thanks for your help with ID, quite a surprise to find it is Walsh, I have had this wine glass for some time, I am well pleased.

Bernard.
Eric Reynolds is most welcome to a copy of photos, as I have no way of contacting him, can you help?

Tony H

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 07:13:33 PM »
Tony,

I am not at all surprised that you are pleased.   I am most envious of your rare Walsh goblet.

As to getting the photographs to Eric, I would be willing to help.

Please email me with the photographs as attachments, cropped with unnecessary margins removed, but not optimised or optimised as little as possible.   I suggest a maximum file size of 500Kb per photograph, which I should be able to cope with.   Best to send one photograph per email.  Please include a statement asking for acknowledgment, and giving Eric full permission to use them as he wishes, including the ability to apply copyright status to the images, and your willingness to transfer this right to him at no cost.

Please do not concern yourself about this — it just gives Eric maximum flexibility.   He would never ever publish without full acknowledgement.

If you wish, you could just agree to the terms I have suggested here — it saves complicated paperwork.

Bernard C.  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand