No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Paperweight. Vasart/Strathearn or neither please  (Read 14789 times)

Offline Morgan48

• Members
Paperweight. Vasart/Strathearn or neither please
« on: March 14, 2005, 06:42:40 PM »
Good evening KevH/Richard

http://tinypic.com/281c0l

When I picked this up yesterday I automatically thought of Vasart/Strathearn. It just over 3" in dia. and approx 2" high. The ground that the canes sit in very typical of many of Vasart/Strathearn weights.
But its the canes that confuse me.....I had a look through both your sites and Franks, typically got distracted once in there, anyway got back to business but couldn't really find what I would call "blind" canes.... very plain with no interior formation. Also the overall design is really very basic.....The twists look fairly ok if a little weak and now I really dont know. The slightly concave base shows some wear so doubt if a recent modern repro piece. Either of you gentleman able to assist...particularly if it has a pattern name.

Regards

Gareth

Morgan48

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 10:53:19 PM »
Hi Gareth,

I'd say it's Vasart rather than Strathearn.

You are correct about me not showing what you call "blind" canes in my Vasart / Strathearn section. (Although there are a couple in the pre-1956 Vasart part). However, these simple star / cog canes are actually fairly common in Vasart weights.

As for a pattern / design name, I think Vasart and Strathearn probably just called these "millefiori". I don't know for sure, but I suspect that the general "Spoke" / "Cartwheel" description was invented by collectors.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 10:57:31 AM »
Hi Kev

Many thanks for the info.....I have looked again at the various canes and weight examples and realised that theres not a lot of point actually showing an individual  cane that has no internal pattern.
 From looking at the weights, although you say the use of "blind" canes was quite common, I didn't actually spot that many...perhaps distracted by the many more colourful ones...
...I suppose the thing that struck me was having such a variety of interesting canes to choose from why did they end up making such a boring weight??  ..... subjective I know ....and then maybe they made a lot more of this type but  dont warrant the space on a web site   .........perhaps I'm simply trying to appease my "oh wow" initial reaction to "oh well" conclusion that I settled for.

Again many thanks

Gareth

morgan48

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 11:23:27 AM »
The philosophy of Salvador Ysart was very pragmatic and paperweights were considered in no way art. They were a cheap and cheerful gift trade item. He was highly negative towards Paul's interest in weights.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 11:43:29 AM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
........perhaps I'm simply trying to appease my "oh wow" initial reaction to "oh well" conclusion that I settled for.

Again many thanks

Gareth

morgan48

No, Gareth!  Go with your initial response!  I had an initial 'Wow' reaction too - and still have  :shock:

Yes, it's simple and a bit plainer than many, but IMHO the colours are a really good combination and it's a pretty little weight which has 'novelty value' for being just that bit different from the run-of-the-mill.  

As long as you didn't pay a *too* 'Wow' price for it, it's well worth a place in a paperweight collection, I'd say   :)

Leni
Leni

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 12:07:56 PM »
During the 1980's this was the most commonly found type of Vasart weight, as time passes more and more of the unusual are appearing. The same applies to Vasart glassware and another 20 years all sorts of remarkable Strathearn will start to appear. 50+ years is the 'normal' period for collectibles to start to appear in force. Of course the high speed age of the Internet must be shortening that time scale... look at all the McDonalds and chocolate egg toys on eBay.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 12:59:59 PM »
Quote from: "Frank"
During the 1980's this was the most commonly found type of Vasart weight,  

look at all the McDonalds and chocolate egg toys on eBay.

The point here is, if people treat a 'commonly found' item as disposable, so that most of them get broken or thrown away, eventually they will become rare and those people who collect such 'junk' will find themselves with valuable 'collectables'!   :lol:

(At least, that's what I try to convince my kids when they roll their eyes and tap their heads at my 'collection' of old bottles and jars  :lol:  :roll:  :lol:  :roll: )

Leni
Leni

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 08:37:36 PM »
During the 1980's this was the most commonly found type of Vasart weight, as time passes more and more of the unusual are appearing. The same applies to Vasart glassware and another 20 years all sorts of remarkable Strathearn will start to appear. 50+ years is the 'normal' period for collectibles to start to appear in force. Of course the high speed age of the Internet must be shortening that time scale... look at all the McDonalds and chocolate egg toys on eBay.

Frank

Bit of an odd situation as in 20 years I dont recall coming across such a "plain one" ...( I'm not talking about the design )...and there are many places that I go to where the dross gravitates to...and then there's Ebay where again all and everything turns up....added to which there is a multitude of far lesser pieces , and made more recently, and they're all over the place. I understand that the rarer ones eventually surface but so far my experience has been that the lesser types were always there to be had.

Kev

I asked about pattern names because for no logical reason simply assumed as it was in the family that they would have PP references, or something, like the Strathearn ones

Leni

At £15 I'm certainly neither complaining nor dissapointed....just a bit surprised.

Many thanks to you all

Gareth

morgan48

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 09:11:36 PM »
In the eighties I did a lot of trawling in Scotland for Monart and Vasart, I came across quite a few weights, although very rarely PY's. I did not find many elsewhere. But of course, the 'Paperweight Army' were a busy lot then too.

Look at the poor selection of Vasart weights in Ysart Glass compared to the PY's

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 09:25:15 PM »
In the eighties I did a lot of trawling in Scotland for Monart and Vasart, I came across quite a few weights, although very rarely PY's. I did not find many elsewhere. But of course, the 'Paperweight Army' were a busy lot then too.

Look at the poor selection of Vasart weights in Ysart Glass compared to the PY's

I'm surprised at how many Strathearn/Perthshire ones are coming out of Germany.....why am I surprised...........I dunno...!

Gareth

morgan48

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand