No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Signed "Holmegaard" on eBay...  (Read 5030 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Signed "Holmegaard" on eBay...
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 08:14:29 PM »
Apparently Aristocrat had it's own matching glass - but I've never seen them, just read mention of them in an old article David E. forwarded to me recently. It seems production didn't last for long (c. 1956-59), and instead the decanter was put together with the earlier (1955) Canada range.

Such mixing and matching isn't entirely unheard of within Holmegaard, as a similar thing happened with the York range by Per Lutken.

Incidentally, I'm not sure where the Canada / Scanada difference comes from. All original packaging I've got for the range states 'Canada'.  ???

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007, 10:26:39 PM »
On the Scanada v. Canada issue, Andy McConnell uses both names in his book (on p.148). In the accompanying advert from Pottery Gazette (which shows the Aristocrat Decanter with (S)canada glasses), the names of the ranges are printed at the bottom. Unfortunately the name of the glasses is almost entirely cropped off, leaving only the tops of the letters, but there is just enough left to make out, I think, an additional curved letter at the beginning.   ???
robbo

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2007, 10:49:46 PM »
I think you're right!

Although, confusingly, the Pottery Gazette refers to the range as 'Canada' in a 1959 article. The advert in McConnell dates somewhere between 1965-71 (does it give a specific date anywhere in the credits? I can't spot it).

Was there a temporary change of name during that period, I wonder? I have packaging pre-65 with 'Canada' and post-71 with the same. Nothing from that middle period, though.  ???

Hasty edit: I lied - I have a boxed set of cordials from the Kastrup-Holmegaard era, also Canada.  ::)

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2007, 11:17:47 PM »
I suppose without a boxed Scanada set and/or other documentary evidence it's impossible to say when or in which market the different names were used. It certainly seems to be quite a common occurance—I've just got a boxed set of 70s Arabia glasses called 'Quartet' on the box but in all my books they're called 'Contact'.  ??? ???
robbo

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 12:15:59 AM »
I've not found any correlation between location and name change for Canada - my three eras of the glasses come from a dealer in Denmark for the pre-65s, a defunct glass store in the US selling off new-old-stock for the 1965-71s, and a collector in Britain who bought them in Heals in 1973 for the later ones!

It'll probably turn out to be a typo on a couple of adverts that's the source of the confusion...  ;D

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2007, 09:50:30 AM »
Max has just confirmed for me that it does say Scanada in the advert, and that it hails from 1967. Thanks, Max.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand