Author Topic: Signed "Holmegaard" on eBay...  (Read 2243 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
    • Wilson & Coleman
Signed "Holmegaard" on eBay...
« on: March 11, 2007, 12:06:03 AM »
There's a set of smokey glasses being sold on eBay as signed Holmegaard, which aren't:

HERE

I've contacted the seller to voice my doubts - that the colour is wrong, as is the signature - and whilst being pleasant enough, they refuse to entertain the thought that thy've been Dremelled. They also have a Holmegaard 'Aristocrat' decanter for sale with apparently the same signature - on the stopper, of all places!

Any clue who actually made the glasses?

Offline Sue C

• Members
Re: Signed "Holmegaard" on eBay...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 05:17:26 PM »
Should they have a little gold sticker MADE IN POLAND  ;)

Mod: Yes, I've recently seen these, in a set with wider glasses and a decanter, with the little gold sticker and "Made in Poland" - Cathy

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
    • old website
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 09:21:51 PM »
I'd think one of the Zwiesel companies may have been to blame. The colour is just a tad on the brown side (not cool grey or bluish). Could also be Empoli of course...
btw - ever come across signed tableware from Holmegaard before?
Ivo
► BLUE HENRY ◄
 New Book: The Almost Forgotten Story of the Blue Glass Sputum Flask

all texts and pictures (c) Ivo Haanstra.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
    • Wilson & Coleman
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 10:01:28 PM »
Some decanters were signed in the early-mid 1950s with just the Lutken monogram and a date - but they're few and far between in number - and select tableware (decanters and glasses) was initialled 'HG' followed by a number during 1971-85. Never found any fully signed glasses before this date, though. Even so, the glasses in the auction are only signed 'PL' - on it's own, it's not a known HG signature. The Aristocrat decanter from the same seller apparently has a monogram and a date (1958)... I've had several Aristocrat decanters, but never with a signature - not even a limited edition 1958 silver-mounted one I own. And I've certainly never heard of a signature on a stopper!

In any case, the signatures don't seem to match the known Lutken monogram, judging by the seller's caginess when I asked if they matched the example of a Lutken monogram on my site. Instead he just said that there was bound to be variation in signatures and colouring during Lutken's tenure at Holmegaard.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 12:47:39 PM »
LOL oooops - I've only just caught up with this thread and I emailed the seller about these glasses also! Oh dear, he must think the Holmegaard police are after him  ;D  well, never mind, I thought exactly the same as you Nic, the colour is too brown as opposed to grey, the sig is iffy and I've never come across any signed HG tableware either.  I also suggested he take a look at the PL signed pieces I have on my site for comparative purposes. 

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
    • Wilson & Coleman
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 03:46:09 PM »
Probablt won't do much good - I just got shrugged off. But it never hurts to try!

I just feel sorry for the bidders on the phony glasses and the vandalised decanter.

Looking through the seller's past auctions, he's not averse to selling any old tatt as Holmegaard. *sigh*

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 04:32:21 PM »
Nic, isn't that decanter similar to Dartington? :-\

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
    • Wilson & Coleman
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 05:00:11 PM »
Not sure - I'm not terribly familiar with Dartington designs or colours. I'm always a little lost when I venture outside of the safety of Holmegaard.  ;D

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 05:09:19 PM »
I thunk they did a more bulbous one with a hole in the stopper?

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 07:37:40 PM »
I'm probably preaching to the converted here. You do get a 'signature' or rather a number on stoppers that matches a number on the base of the decanter sometimes.  I'm talking generally, not Holmegaard.  But you probably knew that already.  :-[ 

Apparently, the matching glasses to the Aristocrat decanter are called Scanada...just thought I'd throw in something else you knew already.   ;D ;D

I am not a man

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com