No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Signed "Holmegaard" on eBay...  (Read 5023 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Signed "Holmegaard" on eBay...
« on: March 11, 2007, 12:06:03 AM »
There's a set of smokey glasses being sold on eBay as signed Holmegaard, which aren't:

HERE

I've contacted the seller to voice my doubts - that the colour is wrong, as is the signature - and whilst being pleasant enough, they refuse to entertain the thought that thy've been Dremelled. They also have a Holmegaard 'Aristocrat' decanter for sale with apparently the same signature - on the stopper, of all places!

Any clue who actually made the glasses?

Offline Sue C

• Members
Re: Signed "Holmegaard" on eBay...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 05:17:26 PM »
Should they have a little gold sticker MADE IN POLAND  ;)

Mod: Yes, I've recently seen these, in a set with wider glasses and a decanter, with the little gold sticker and "Made in Poland" - Cathy

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 09:21:51 PM »
I'd think one of the Zwiesel companies may have been to blame. The colour is just a tad on the brown side (not cool grey or bluish). Could also be Empoli of course...
btw - ever come across signed tableware from Holmegaard before?

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 10:01:28 PM »
Some decanters were signed in the early-mid 1950s with just the Lutken monogram and a date - but they're few and far between in number - and select tableware (decanters and glasses) was initialled 'HG' followed by a number during 1971-85. Never found any fully signed glasses before this date, though. Even so, the glasses in the auction are only signed 'PL' - on it's own, it's not a known HG signature. The Aristocrat decanter from the same seller apparently has a monogram and a date (1958)... I've had several Aristocrat decanters, but never with a signature - not even a limited edition 1958 silver-mounted one I own. And I've certainly never heard of a signature on a stopper!

In any case, the signatures don't seem to match the known Lutken monogram, judging by the seller's caginess when I asked if they matched the example of a Lutken monogram on my site. Instead he just said that there was bound to be variation in signatures and colouring during Lutken's tenure at Holmegaard.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 12:47:39 PM »
LOL oooops - I've only just caught up with this thread and I emailed the seller about these glasses also! Oh dear, he must think the Holmegaard police are after him  ;D  well, never mind, I thought exactly the same as you Nic, the colour is too brown as opposed to grey, the sig is iffy and I've never come across any signed HG tableware either.  I also suggested he take a look at the PL signed pieces I have on my site for comparative purposes. 

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 03:46:09 PM »
Probablt won't do much good - I just got shrugged off. But it never hurts to try!

I just feel sorry for the bidders on the phony glasses and the vandalised decanter.

Looking through the seller's past auctions, he's not averse to selling any old tatt as Holmegaard. *sigh*

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 04:32:21 PM »
Nic, isn't that decanter similar to Dartington? :-\

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 05:00:11 PM »
Not sure - I'm not terribly familiar with Dartington designs or colours. I'm always a little lost when I venture outside of the safety of Holmegaard.  ;D

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 05:09:19 PM »
I thunk they did a more bulbous one with a hole in the stopper?

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 07:37:40 PM »
I'm probably preaching to the converted here. You do get a 'signature' or rather a number on stoppers that matches a number on the base of the decanter sometimes.  I'm talking generally, not Holmegaard.  But you probably knew that already.  :-[ 

Apparently, the matching glasses to the Aristocrat decanter are called Scanada...just thought I'd throw in something else you knew already.   ;D ;D

I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand