No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina Vase  (Read 4590 times)

Offline Dave247

• Members
Mdina Vase
« on: March 11, 2007, 10:36:06 AM »
Picked this up yesterday & any advise would be great. Marked on base Mdina 80-160 about 5 1.2 inches tall & 7 accross. It has as you can see a lovely woven glass pattern. I have looked through Mark Hill's excellent book but can find nothing like it.
Must be very rare or very new ???
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5569
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5568
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5567
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5566

Offline Argonite

• Members
Re: Mdina Vase
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 10:45:35 AM »
 :) Dave - I have Miller's 20th Century Glass and in the Mdina section page 135 there is a 1970's mould blown vase with a pattern very similar to yours. It is called Earth or Earthtones.
 :-[ Not much I know but every little may help !
Regards, Roger
Respect,
Roger

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 10:53:29 AM »
I've never seen Mdina with numbers on it (that's not saying much). I wonder if this could be number 80 of a limited edition of 160. Curious.  :-\
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 12:05:01 PM »
Dave,
nice vase, definitely 'earthtones'  they are still producing the pattern today, look at
http://www.mdinaglass.net/index.htm
and go to the gallery, my guess is fairly recent, maybe it was one of a limited
edition for the shape, or made for a customer? such as a sales outlet or
hotel chain ???
Andy 8)
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 12:51:31 PM »
Hi, yes it is Earthtones, I posted a photo of a spherical vase in this glass on here recently and Mark Hill kindly replied with some very useful information about it - do a search on here for Earthtones and you should find it - it was a fairly recent discussion (last month I think).

EDIT - here's the link to the recent discussion

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,9066.0.html

Offline Dave247

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 02:39:56 PM »
Pip
Thanks for that. Shame i was hoping it was an early piece. Still very nice bit of glass, did yours have numbers on the base?
Have you still got yours or did you sell iy on?

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 04:51:58 PM »
Hi Dave, no mine isn't numbered - I've also not come across a piece of numbered Mdina and don't really know what it could mean - hopefully someone like Sue or Mark will be able to shed some light on it.  I've still got mine but am probably going to list it on eBay sometime soonish.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 07:02:04 PM »
There is a mention of a 4 digit date number on some pieces in one of the Collect It magazines but no mention of any other kind of numbers.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline MarkHill

• Author
  • Members
    • Mark Hill Publishing
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 03:24:26 PM »
Hi there,
Nice pattern - one of the nicer ones I've seen! Yup, definitely Earthtones, as you already know. Numbers engraved on the base (or written on labels) can mean a number of things, depending on what the number actually is, where it is and when the piece was made:
1. The shape number
2. The order number for a client's particular order
3. The client's reference number
4. A date, in the case of 01, 02, 03 etc only, for later pieces made in 2001, 2002, 2003 etc (this seems not to be consistently applied however)
I'm not aware of any limited editions, but then again I've also learnt to never say never!
There's no real consistency to numbering - Marlene (a very very nice and friendly lady who worked with the Harrises on Malta and continues to work for them today on IOW) told me that in her time there with Michael Harris, numbers on labels could be either 1, 2 or 3 depending on what it says. M prefixed numbers are always shape numbers.
Hope this helps,
All the best,
Mark
www.markhillpublishing.com
Text and images © Mark Hill
www.markhillpublishing.com

Offline Dave247

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 08:02:02 AM »
Mark
Shame there is no consistancy, then i could say that it probably means  80-160  was made in 1980 & the 160 refers to the pattern?
Thanks very much for the info
Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand