No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Perfume bottles signed Elme, Sweden  (Read 3025 times)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Perfume bottles signed Elme, Sweden
« on: March 18, 2007, 01:40:25 PM »
Hi All,  ;)

I found these gorgeous perfume bottles today, in Belgium. They are signed Elme.
Now, the only Elme I know is the one from Sweden.
Did they produce items like these? I have looked through all the books that I have. I have read that some items were signed Elme, but only the earlier ones.
Any information will be very gratefully received.  ;D

Click on image to enlarge.

TIA
Della
x
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Perfume bottles signed Elme!?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 07:25:05 PM »
I thought there was also an Italian company based at Elme in Italy? Can't be sure but seem to remember there was a thread posted about a small glassworks concern, but I may have got the name wrong.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 07:31:52 PM »

Well, David, when I saw them, from a distance, they screamed Italian to me. I also couldn't read the signature (too vain to take my specs with me) until I photographed them on the macro setting.
I do know that Edvin Ollers, who worked at Elme, did some designs known as 'Venise' and that they were incredibly like the Italian designs of that time.
I have now come to a dead end, having googled every designer that I can find (from the books that I have) that worked for Elme Glasbruk.

I will look into your suggestion.  ;D
Thanks  :-*
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 11:10:34 PM »

I managed to join a Swedish forum, don't ask how, I just muddled my way through. Anyhow, it seems that these are Elme Glasbruk, Sweden and by Edvin Ollers between 1926-1930.  ;D ;D
Just a shame that I can't read the other threads on their forums, as I bet it is a field of information for a Scandinavian glass collector.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 09:00:37 AM »
I tend to agree with you Della - I think my mention of an Italian Elme was something of a red herring!

However, I do remember a topic that mentioned a small Italian town producing glass, and there was a web site devoted to it - something like Elme, but Ivo will know.

If I have time I'll dig around a little more.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 09:07:36 AM »

Thanks David, I really do appreciate it. I have done a total search on the board and googled until I am senseless.
I hope they are what I think (have been informed) they are, as I have listed them.
In Andy McConnell's book, 20th Century Glass, pg 75, there is some information on "Venise" style.
There is also some great information on Elme Glasbruk in Bill Geary's book, but it seems that unless they are Peacock vases or cased glass from the 60's that they are not really known.

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 10:50:10 AM »
What a wonderful find Della - they are so unusual!  I really like them

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk