No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mystery mark on green glass  (Read 2747 times)

Offline Sue C

• Members
Mystery mark on green glass
« on: March 20, 2007, 02:22:29 PM »
Hi all, in second hand shop today the bloke behind the counter was looking at the bottom of a glass and said to me " what do you make of this" very faintly etched in a circle was a mark, but all the letter's were either upsidedown, back to front, or the right way round,i have written it down
first word  E(right way round) RR(upsidedown,back to front) A (upside down) N (back to front) D (right way round) O (right way) N (upside down) E (right way) A (upside down) ERRANDONEA?
second word DAREX only the R upside down back to front
third word CAMECHO only the A upside down
The glass was dark green, and had fancy L S T engraved on the front with what looked like a palm tree going through the middle of the letters, a very odd piece  ??? what do you make of that, masonic maybe?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Re: mystery?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 02:55:09 PM »
Hi Sue,

I love a mystery, but this has me stumped.  With that bizarre set of letters........are you sure it wasn't LSD  ;D ???

Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 03:03:08 PM »
Hi Cat, LSD  ;D ;D funny, but it is bizarre, it was only about 4in tall,  bulbouse stemed drinking glass, a bit like an upside down onion.
I asked if i could buy it, but he said he wanted his freind to look at it, i shall go back on Thursday and see if he is selling it.

p.s. just had a thought, maybe it's an anagram?

Offline suea

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 12:26:17 PM »
Is it English script? Those back to front letters make me wonder about Russian  or similar... Will watch with interest!

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 03:58:20 PM »
But I'd also heard that "satisfaction bought it back"..........unfortunately, no satisfaction for me here as I've drawn a blank

Sue's pics :

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10086/smaller_Sue_mystery_001.jpg

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10086/smaller_Sue_mystery_003.jpg

Sadly "the base was impossible"
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 04:11:42 PM »
Hi Cat, thanks for that, you can just see the initials on the front of the glass, but the base was just impossible, im down the village pub tonight so will ask some of my friends if they can take better ones.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand