No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart 'Cloisonne' Glass Vase??  (Read 10010 times)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Monart 'Cloisonne' Glass Vase??
« on: March 20, 2007, 08:07:19 PM »
Hi all,

I'm a little surprised that there has been no comment about this one on the board. Ebay No. 120098725436. I notice that Manley is being used as the reference - but is like being compared to like??

Nigel

Offline MHJ02

• Members
Re: Monart 'Cloisonne' Glass Vase??
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 08:19:40 PM »
Hi Nigel

According to the seller, there were 5 interested parties who requested a photo of the base, now supplied.   For me, it doesn't help in the least.   Is it Monart?   I'm uncertain enough probably not to have a bid, too risky for me.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this vase.

Regards
Mary
 :-\

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 10:07:04 PM »
Had not noticed it... looks Chinese and fresh off the shelf.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 11:59:04 AM »
Hi,

Pieces with this colour way have been turning up for many years. Vases, bowls(?) and lamp shades. They have been given honoray status as Aboresque Ware from S&W for as long as I can recall, but I cannot recall any precise proof of this.

They never have a Monart pontil, and by now, if they were Monart, one would have been seen with a typical pontil. Indeed, the finish of the base suggests that it has been blown into a mould. The surface has a more melted-in effect and the colours are used (together) in the way that is not seen on known pieces of Monart. Monart surface decorated wares have, on the whole, a 'dryer' look, without the sheen that appears on these items.

Therefore, I believe this is not Monart, but I can fully understand why the seller believes that it is - especially as it is the closest to a Monart shape that I've seen.

I must add my apologies to the seller, since I don't normally interfere with sales, but it's an annomally that has occured for far too long.

Nigel

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 02:46:28 PM »
honoray status as Aboresque Ware from S&W for as long as I can recall, but I cannot recall any precise proof of this.

I have handled those but while this is closer to those than Monart, I do think this is something completely different. I have seen this finish in gift shops.

Academic as the sale has been cancelled now. See comments on bids!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 01:26:32 PM »
Seller responded
I'm selling it on behalf of a professional glass dealer who doesn't sell on ebay so personally couldn't give a flying on your amateur opinion. Do you think all the bidders are idiots and are simply taking my word for it?

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 01:56:50 PM »
Another mail  ??? seems this glass will stay unsold though.

This item will be relisted, you do not know Monart cloisonne glass, it was made using an entirely different technique and has no pontil. I am obtaining authentication as we speak and will soon report you to ebay for auction interference, you may then have trouble purchasing your little glass animals. No way was I letting anyone obtain this glass for less than £400 anyway so it hasn't hurt me one bit.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 02:38:26 PM »
Charming!  His friend sounds like a dealer to avoid as well. I presume you've written to Gary? (millerart} seeing as he was top bidder.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 02:44:47 PM »
I just wrote to the seller, also sent him a link here. I did not see much point contact collectors as they knew it was not Monart. Many Monart collectors also collect examples of the look-alikes as it helps to have a feel for the different techniques that produce visually confusing pieces.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 03:53:51 PM »
Dearie me, he obviously attended the same charm school as my little eBay 'chum'  ::)  Now be told Frank, you know nothing about Monart cloisonne glass, just stick to your little animals ....  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand