No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Kartio by Kaj Franck  (Read 4854 times)

Connie

Kartio by Kaj Franck
« on: March 22, 2007, 12:45:45 PM »
I am looking for the dates the various colors of this line were produced.  Kartio was designed by Kaj Franck and produced from 1955-68 and then reintroduced in 1993 - present.

Here is a link to the current production

I have what I think is a Kartio tumbler in cobalt blue as seen on page 120 in Miller's 20th-Century Glass by Andy McConnell.

When was cobalt (or whatever the official name for the color) made?

I will add a picture of my tumbler when I photograph it.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: Kartio by Kaj Franck
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 12:55:31 PM »
Hi Connie, I've had two of these cobalt tumblers (now sold) - they're gorgeous quality aren't they?  I can't remember now what I managed to find out about them but I'll have a mooch through some books and see if I can find out anything to add to what you know.

Connie

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 01:15:04 PM »
Any information would be greatly appreciated, Pip.

If you can find the dimensions of the large tumbler that would be wonderful  :)

The tumbler I have is high quality and is 4.5 inches tall and 3.5 inches wide at the top.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 01:25:44 PM »
My tumblers were the following dimensions...

Height 5in/12.5cm  Rim 3in/7.5cm  Combined Weight 734g

All I know for sure is that the Kartio range was designed by KF in 1958 - I've not found out anything yet about the introduction of cobalt.  However, I did once see two cobalt Kartio carafes that were being sold at a fair - they were two different shapes and according to the dealer and the information I found out subsequently the shape of the carafe was altered for the current production.  They had the 'old style' shaped carafe and the 'new style' - both in cobalt blue.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 01:34:42 PM »
Cordial 7cl/ 56mm;
tumbler 21cl/80mm;
tumbler longdrink 35cl/ 125mm;
bowl 130mm;
candle holder 50mm;
vase diabolo 220mm;
pitcher diabolo 95cl/220mm;
pitcher 160cl/ 230 mm;
plate 200mm;
plate 240 mm

all items in clear, blue, light blue, green, light green except the plates which are made in blue only and pitcher 160cl which is only in clear.

Some colours were made for a limited time only (dark brown and smoke jump to mind) but I am sure dark blue is current staple production.

The design dates from 1958

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 09:12:08 PM »
Hi,

A couple of weeks ago I got a 'harlequin' set of old ones; the colours are:

Red
Brown
Yellowish Amber
Green
Lilac
Dark Turquoise

The colours are all very dark (when stacked they look almost black). I haven't been able to place these date wise either but I have a photo of examples, in some of these colours, with early paper labels.

Nuutajärvi did use a lot of dark blue in the 50s & 60s. Judging by dated pieces, the earlier/50s dark blue has a more greyish tone than that used eg. early to mid–60s (which is brighter). 'Pressed Glass Series 1' (produced 1954–68), similar to Kartio but with a more rounded bottom, was definitely made in dark blue, as were the conical turn-mould blown tumblers (produced 1955–67).

On some Nuutajärvi original-production pressed glass the base rim is ground. The re-issues I have all have 'Kaj Franck Iittala' moulded on the bases. I don't know if that applies to all the re-issues, 1993 onwards. They also have a more 'perfect'/mechanical quality to them.

I'll take some photos at the weekend to try and illustrate some of this.

The sizes given in 'Kaj Franck: Muotoilija, Formgivare, Designer' for the original Kartio glasses are 6, 11, 16, 20 & 34cl.

robbo
robbo

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 01:01:21 PM »
Here are the photos:

Firstly a comparison of blues. Vase on the left dated '58, on the right '64. Iittala cobalt blue is much brighter still.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5872

A photo of originals & reissues, side by side (red & turquoise are original production):
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5871

Two views of the bases:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5870
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5869

The red Kartio and the small, dark blue tumbler (from 'Pressed Glass Series 1') both have ground base rims. The raised edge of the base of the reissue (on the right) is wider and has a different profile to the turquoise original (centre).

Hope this helps  :)
robbo
robbo

Connie

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 01:15:04 PM »
Thank you, robbo.

Based on your photos I don't think mine is Kartio  :-\

It is a true cobalt blue. There is a mark on the bottom which I have gone back and forth on being a maker's mark or just artifact from smoothing the bottom.

It looks like a series of lines in a half moon but maybe letters.  I have tried looking in a loupe.  I have tried doing a rubbing and I can't make out anything  ::)

I am going to try to take pictures of it today and will post them.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 01:24:08 PM »
That's really useful Robbo.  Mine were definitely Kartio tumblers by Kaj Franck because they were marked on the bases  ;D - which from your info means they were later/reissue production - beautiful glasses though, heavy and such a vibrant colour.

Connie

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 10:13:56 PM »
Click on the thumbnails for a larger picture

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand