No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Nuutajarvi Iittala Flora? - ID probably Italglass in Italy  (Read 6747 times)

Offline bethsbargains

• Members
Nuutajarvi Iittala Flora? - ID probably Italglass in Italy
« on: March 22, 2007, 10:33:51 PM »
I bought a chip and dip set on ebay that was supposed to be the Flora pattern.  Although there are similarities, I see differences too in the style of flowers.  Has anyone seen reproductions of this?

http://auctionsuite.com/uploads/48hr_uploads/Iittala%20Flora%20Chip%20&%20Dip%20Side3.jpg

http://auctionsuite.com/uploads/48hr_uploads/Iittala%20Flora%20Chip%20&%20Dip4.jpg

Thanks,  Beth

Mod: Images lost, topic retained for info value. If Beth is still reading and has images could they be added back to this topic please?

Beth

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: Nuutajarvi Iittala Flora? or Fake
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 12:26:28 AM »
I've seen something like this pattern sold brand new and made in Asia (Indonesia?).

Offline bethsbargains

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 02:02:05 AM »
Cathy - Thanks.  Do you remember where you saw it?  Beth
Beth

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 05:24:00 AM »
The pattern I'm thinking of was sold in local homewares shops like House in Canberra (Australia) within the last few years. I don't know whether it's exactly the same as yours--all I noted was that it looked quite like Iittala's Flora. With luck someone who knows more about either or both can help soon!

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 08:53:54 PM »
Hi Beth & Cathy,

I do have a catalogue "Oiva Toikka: Glass" which lists the various components of Flora & when they were introduced (the book goes up to c. 1988). Unfortunately I've mis-placed my copy recently but will check it when it eventually comes to light—hopefully soon—I'm currently searching, I just hope I haven't thrown it out with the recycling ;D

robbo
robbo

Sklounion

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 07:21:12 AM »
Hi Beth,
I don't think fake or reproduction is necessarily the case.
Quite often designs can appear either simultaneously, or  with a short intervening period.
Recently I found a Riihimaki pattern that is very similar to Matura's "Praha" table-ware. I would not call either a fake, though there may exist an element of plagiarism, a not uncommon occurence with mass-produced glass.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline bethsbargains

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 12:58:10 AM »
Robbo - Thanks.  I do hope you find it soon.

Marcus - Thanks as well.  I realize that similar designs will always be around and are useful in a lot of ways.  The price will be different, though.

Beth

Beth

Offline bethsbargains

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 10:35:24 AM »
Cathy B

Thanks for moving this.

I have since seen more of these reproductions on ebay.  One was from Australia.

Beth
Beth

Offline maxyespantry

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • iittala, blenko
    • USA
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 12:08:55 PM »
I have two sets of salad bowls (9 1/2" and four 4 1/2") that I bought in the '60s or '70s from Bloomingdales (I think). They look a lot like Flora and are made by Italglass in Italy. I think they cost $30-$35 per set. I also have a chip-and-dip set, and I know I couldn't have spent big money for it. Now that I have some authentic Flora pieces, I can see the difference; the Italglass is not as delicate. Replacements does not list a 4 1/2" bowl in Flora.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand