No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Engraved/cut glass jug - help with maker/ID  (Read 959 times)

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
Engraved/cut glass jug - help with maker/ID
« on: March 26, 2007, 07:17:50 PM »
Hi there, I picked this up in a box of mixed glass on Friday thinking that it might be Whitefriars.  Having spent the weekend checking through WF catalogues I am now 90% certain that it isn't.  But what is it?  I have very few reference books for this sort of thing but looking through Jackson - 20th Centuary Factory Glass and Judith Miller - 20th Centuary Glass I am thinking could it be Webb or Stuart???

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5943

Neat, polished pontil to base, quite a bit of fine base wear.  The glass a distinct yellowish flint.  I can't find anything with that handle shape - is that distinctive?

thanks

Tim
Tim

I started with Carnival glass, then other C20 irridescent, then Whitefriars ducks, then Dartington FT Daisies etc, then Whitefriars Tricorns...when will it end?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Re: Engraved/cut glass jug - help with maker/ID
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 08:44:54 PM »
Hi Tim,

I'd be very surprised if this is English. In the old days we always said that if it has a yellow tint it's Czech, but that was really just used as a rule of thumb as a characteristic - which should be combined with others.

The style of engraving is not really British in my experience, and the handle is not consistant with anything that comes to mind by Webb or Stuart.

Sorry to be so negative, but sometimes it's necessary to discount stuff before concentrating in another area.

Nigel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
Re: Engraved/cut glass jug - help with maker/ID
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 08:57:49 PM »
Hi Nigel, thanks for the help.  I suspected that most comments would be "well it isn't..."!  I'm sure I've seen something about this yellowish glass before, but of course as soon as you find something like that you can't find the reference you saw before >:D

The auction room it came from use nasty tinted lights and nothing looks "clear" so I didn't notice it when viewing, and anyway I bought the lot for the Chance posy vases nobody else wanted ;D (red polka dot, amber cotswold and black psycadelic before anyone asks - £18 the box :))

Tim
Tim

I started with Carnival glass, then other C20 irridescent, then Whitefriars ducks, then Dartington FT Daisies etc, then Whitefriars Tricorns...when will it end?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand