No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cutting glass  (Read 1161 times)

Offline kesh

• Members
Cutting glass
« on: March 24, 2007, 08:41:12 AM »
Hi to you all hope somebody could help me
I am looking for some information on cutting 10mm float glass i am trying to make a large fish tank

please send any info you have or a link to any sites that could help

also any tips and tricks on cutting all glass

mean thanks kev

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: Cutting glass
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 10:17:48 AM »
http://www.bullseyeglass.com/pdfs/other_tech/improve_your_cutting.pdf

There's a link for cutting glass.  Honestly though, if it were me, I'd get a professional glazier to do it or they'd be carting me away in an ambulance!   :o

Have you worked out what size tank you can have for that thickness glass?  There must be some kind of equation for working out internal water pressure x glass thickness? 

Link to 'how to build your own tank' with further links down page giving instructions.  Seems quite useful to me:   http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/diytanksrefugiums/ss/diyaquarium.htm

I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 04:44:37 PM »
For a fish tank you will also need the edges ground & polished. This can only be done straight with machinery. If you are fitting in a frame then you can get away with unpolished. But to avoid the risk of breaking, it is better to getr the glass cut and polished to size.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 04:53:08 PM »
Also, if you are in the uk, i think you need toughened safety glass, if it broke i dont think you would be covered by insurance, but check it out first as i am unsure.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand