No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this Monart?  (Read 5843 times)

Offline zidori

• Members
Is this Monart?
« on: March 25, 2007, 09:26:46 AM »
I bought this recently as a Monart piece. Is it genuine?
Regards
Ronnie
Mod:  Photo's uploaded to GlassGallery:

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5973
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5972

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Is this Monart?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 10:42:38 AM »
Yes, shape D.

Offline zidori

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 11:00:07 AM »
Thanks Frank.
Regards
Ronnie

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 12:54:12 AM »
did you get it from penrith Ron?
cheers Ray

Offline zidori

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 04:33:36 PM »
Spot on Ray - along with a Vasart pin dish. When it arrived I began to have doubts as I had not seen such a piece before with such irregular nd large bubbles.  Speculate to accumulate, as they say. Not my cup of tea but a means, hopefully, to help pay for my latest purchases for my collection which are a Monart lidded powder bowl and two Monart glasses.
Regards
Ronnie

Offline MHJ02

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 06:02:22 PM »
Hi Ronnie

I was a previous owner of this vase, having bought it from Barry (a big Monart collector, who sold all his pieces).   I then decided I didn't like it and sold it on on Ebay, for the life of me can't remember who to.   Looks like the new owner then sold at auction and you bought it.

Strange isn't it that certain pieces of Monart can do the rounds on a regular basis.   

Regards
Mary

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 08:06:39 PM »
It happens a lot because there is so little in existence. I would expect there to be more examples of one Lalique ashtray design than all of the Monart put together. A few thousands of pieces.

Such pale colourless pieces are rare in Monart, I find them delightful!

Offline MHJ02

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 10:27:17 PM »
Sometimes you have to be a bit selective and ruthless, otherwise the collection gets to be unmanageable.    Mind it's really hard to make those decisions especially in the current climate where prices are not particularly good.   Don't know how other collectors sort out their collection, but sometimes I need to sell a few pieces in order to fund the purchase of a "must have" item.

I've recently spoken to several people in the antiques business (not just Monart) and the tone is very much the same throughout the industry over the past 18 months in that only the very best/top end product is selling/flying, leaving the middle and bottom end lanquishing!!! 

Mary 

Offline zidori

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 04:11:50 PM »
That is exactly what I do Mary.
I fell in love with a beautiful Monart Powder bowl which I saw at a local auction house and decided I had to have it come what may. Then they came up with two Monart glasses (green again) which went on my must have list and again I bid for them and won- -it was an "ouch!" bid. Now I have to recoup the cost a little now that I have retired.
Here are pics of my "must have" items which I now have.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5956
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5955

Offline MHJ02

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 09:56:14 PM »
Hi Ronnie
Oh me, oh my -absolutely stunning.   The colour of the drinking vessels are really lovely and to get 2 of them - you are very lucky.   The powder bowl is very, very nice too - so well done you.

Regards
Mary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand