No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hidden Hartley Wood letter in Harry Powell Book  (Read 7400 times)

Offline Pinky

• Members
Hidden Hartley Wood letter in Harry Powell Book
« on: March 26, 2007, 12:31:10 AM »
Of all the astonishing things to find on a quiet Sunday evening is two historical scraps of paper used as separate page markers inside my copy of 'GLASS-MAKING IN ENGLAND' book by Harry Powell. I thought it might interest collectors of Hartley Wood and Powell glass.

Beloved and I are anticipating a house move so I've been making an extra effort to sort and pack things. I copped hold of the Harry Powell Book, was flicking through and noticed a scrap of paper tucked between two pages. I lost the page so held the book upright and gently shook it to release the loose paper. Not one but two torn scraps fell out - I took them up and noticed the tear lines on each scrap matched up. When put together they formed a letter to A. J. Wood Esq., C/o Hartley Wood & Co Ltd., Portobello Glassworks, Monkwearmouth. Sunderland. I was gobsmacked. I'd not read as far as the first scrap in the book which I've had for a couple of years? now.

Then I noticed the inscription inside the front cover of the book - Alfred. J. Wood. 1 Roker Park Terrace. Sunderland Co. Durham. Then I rang Pat Hogan to tell him and he suggested that Alfred Wood could be the 'Wood' in the Hartley Wood glasshouse name. Well then you could have knocked me down with a feather.

Onto the net I went and a BIG THANK YOU TO THE CAMBRIDGE GLASS FAIR ORGANIZERS AND THEIR WEBSITE there was a potted history of the Hartley Wood glassworks. I'll not reiterate what's been written except to briefly say that in 1837 the brothers, James and John Hartley started up their Wear factory in Sunderland. It shut in 1892 but a grandson, James Hartley Jnr. started up again in a bottle place in Monkwearmouth. In 1892 or 1895 (accounts differ) Alfred Wood, a Hartley colour-mixer joined up as a partner. That year their Antique Glass range came out - then - and now Hartley Wood famed for its lovely colours. I read somewhere that Alfred Wood had a secret recipe for a gorgeous ruby red which only he knew and when he suddenly passed away it took a while before the glasshouse could produce that same lovely ruby. Were there any other Alfred Woods at Hartley Wood?

Have a look at the pictures below to see the letter. I've also put in a picture of a Hartley Wood streaky ruby and amber vase (left) next to a Powell streaky ruby and amber vase (right). Harry Powell mentions the works in page 118 of his book but I haven't looked any further yet to see if there's any other references. What a privilege it is for me for this to happen. How extraordinary life is......here's links to the pictures - just scroll on down.........
http://whitefriarsorg.org/mf/index.php?showtopic=637

Offline Sue C

• Members
Re: Hidden Hartley Wood letter in Harry Powell Book
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 08:41:00 AM »
Pinky, Roker Park Terrace is still there i think.
there is a bit about the glassworks here www.wearsideonline.com

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 10:52:03 AM »
BTW meant to say congradulations, you must be chuffed to bits :)

Offline Pinky

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 12:41:18 PM »
....Dexter - thank you. I am chuffed and very, very surprised and full of wonderment, excitement and curiosity......lots of questions I'm asking myself. Did Hartley Wood invent streaky decoration - was there anything similar before? When did Alfred invent his ruby? etc....etc....The letter is from someone with lots of letters after his name - is he a doctor or some such?........

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 01:12:23 PM »
Hello Pinky,

What a lovely find for you. Brilliant :)

I did find it a little difficult to read the letter, but factory inspector crossed my mind will I was trying to decypher it.

Anybody out there any ideas about the letters after the name?

Cheers, Nigel

Sklounion

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 01:46:58 PM »
Hi,
These may not be that relevant, as the letter seems to be discussing social provision, however for what its worth....
First one may be AMInstT (Associate Member of the Institute of Transport), the second, (AMIBE) Associate Member of the Institution of British Engineers. The latter still exists in that form, the first is now the Chartered Institute of Transport and Logistics.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 01:51:12 PM »
Hi Pinky, another thought crossed my mind, as the letter is dated 1947, and discusses women , children and nursery's, would it have something to do with the war widows welfare?

Sklounion

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 02:05:19 PM »
Sorry,
hit a dead -end in the AMInstT line, as the new organisation kept NONE of the material prior to its creation in 1999. All members had to change their professional letters, and no year books regarding the preceding membership was retained.
Possibly one can find something through IBE, but information is scarce.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Pinky

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 07:53:40 PM »
.....You're all so lovely with your help - it is very much appreciated - thank you. I spoke to Christina Glover of 'Circaglass' today who manages the Cambridge Glass Fair Website and provided the Hartley Wood article......here's the link http://www.cambridgeglassfair.com/exhibitions/pastexhibitions/2004-02-hartleywood.htm. The website will be changing shortly so please don't be surprised if you lose the link in the future.

In consideration of all your comments and advice I'm going to contact the Sunderland National Glass Centre and also see if I can find a lady called Susan Newell (thank you Christina and Patrick) who wrote an article on Hartley Wood for a Glass Association periodical in 2001 (Volume 6).

I'll keep you posted and in the meantime would be very grateful for any further news/comments. Best Pinky

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 08:19:33 PM »
Hi Pinky,

Email me or give me a call, I believe I have Susan's email address for you :)

Nigel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand