No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with ID - large amethyst Scandi type vase  (Read 2435 times)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Help with ID - large amethyst Scandi type vase
« on: March 26, 2007, 04:40:03 PM »
Here is a large and vibrant amethyst glass vase in a space-age type design - reminiscent in some ways to Aladin & Still designs for Riihimaki but a colour and shape I've never seen from them.  Does anyone have any ideas on the ID of this one? TIA.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5916

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Re: Help with ID - large amethyst Scandi type vase
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 05:06:17 PM »
I have seen a Riihimaki vase in this colour.  It is very similar to yours but with a more tapered shape to the neck,  but definitely one of their colours although I haven't seen much in this colour I must say.  Emmi

PS  Just found in Andy's book on page 206 the vase I am talking about.!

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 05:08:19 PM »
Thanks for that Emmi - I must admit I've never seen a Riihimaki in this colour before!  But the vase you mention on page 206 of Andy's book is actually very different from this one - I've just sold one of the ones you mention (in red) and they're cased for starters - this purple vase is uncased and actually a lot squatter in shape.  They're similar I know but definitely not the same design.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 07:21:03 PM »
I thought it might be helpful to include a photograph of the base - to show the difference between it and the Riihimaki one mentioned by Emmi which has a very thick pad of clear glass to the base - as you can see, this one doesn't.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5916 (vase again from side)
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-5944 (base)

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 07:25:31 PM »
Yes, I could see the shape was different, but the colour is a pretty good match. Emmi

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 08:02:05 PM »
LOL is it purple???? Gosh I need my eyes tested I thought it was a ruby one (like the one I had).  Sorry Emmi, yes you're absolutely right, it's a great match and proves that Riihimaki DID make purple glass vases.  (Making a mental note to see the optician)...

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 12:09:50 AM »
Pip, is this page any help? I was looking at vase 1379 which looks similarly shaped and 1369 a similar colour but I can't tell exactly.  http://www.designlasi.com/kokoelma3.php?lang=2
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 10:15:40 AM »
Hi Anne - thanks for the link, I got quite carried away looking at all the lovely things on the site! The vase you pointed out is the Tamara Aladin one that Emmi mentioned - I've had one of these in red and they're cased with a thick pad of glass at the base - the purple vase is uncased and the flared bit at the bottom is a lot wider.  So it's a bit of a mystery still  :-\

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand