No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blenko Winslow Anderson 920 decanter? NO = PILGRIM  (Read 5098 times)

Offline pam roybal

• Members
Blenko Winslow Anderson 920 decanter? NO = PILGRIM
« on: March 23, 2005, 01:02:23 AM »
I just bought this decanter and I am not sure if it is the real thing. It is 18" tall with stopper and 12" without, it looks like the real Winslow Anderson 920 but there are so many look alikes and I am not an expert.  
 Thanks
http://tinypic.com/2b8w88

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 09:12:06 AM »
In looking at your pic, the base certainly is the same shape as Blenko's 920 by Winslow Anderson. However, the stopper in not like anything I can find pictured on Blenko Decanters. Blenko Decanters are noted for their distinctive stoppers, so this would make me feel suspect that it is not blenko.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 09:35:56 AM »
The stopper looks like it is not matching, colour and decoration vary. The fit looks a little odd too!

Anonymous

Blenko 920 decanter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 06:16:40 PM »
Thanks for all of the help; now that I look at it, it looks like a marriage to me also. I am glad I only paid $6.00 for it; someday maybe I will find the right stopper, which would be about the time I find the needle in the hay stack! Thanks
Pam

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 08:53:14 PM »
I think it may be the Pilgrim decanter shown on the Is it Blenko? website - have a look here and see what you think... scroll down to see what they say about each decanter shown.
http://www.blenkocollectors.com/isitblenkopages/blenkocollisitblenkocomps/blenkocollisitblenkotestthree.htm
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 09:10:25 PM »
I had a look in a book  :shock:   after seeing Annes comment and....

On page 196 of Circa Fifties Glass, there's a page from the Pilgrim catalogue from 1969.  Looks like this decanter in Ruby, called No. 23/R.

Certainly looks the same, although it does appear that the one in the catalogue might also have some kind of optic ribbing going on - could be a trick of the light though. There's also a green one that looks identical without the ribbed effect.

Wow. I'm so glad I bought some books!   :shock:  :lol:  8)
I am not a man

Anonymous

Not Blenko 920
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 02:12:57 AM »
Anne and Max, thanks for the help. It's not Blenko but at least the stopper goes with the decanter and I love crackle. I wish I had more books, but I don't and that is why I love this site!! What I need to do is stop buying so much glass and start buying some books.  I think maybe what I really need is some professional help regarding my thing for glass.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 09:09:16 PM »
Anne and Max, thanks for the help. It's not Blenko but at least the stopper goes with the decanter and I love crackle.

Pam, it's a nice decanter regardless and good to have been able to identify it as a complete Pilgrim piece.  :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand