No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Luxor vase - Walther & Sohne  (Read 6192 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Luxor vase - Walther & Sohne
« on: March 30, 2007, 03:48:24 PM »
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6028

(other views also shown)

I bought this purely out of curiosity because it looked interesting. Fortunately I spotted a similar looking green version on Pamela's website ;D and believe it to be by Walther & Sohne 1934 and called "Luxor".

Would I be right in assuming that this art deco design (and pattern name) was influenced may be by the discovery of Tutankhamun's tomb in 1922/3 in Luxor?  It appears to have palm leaves around the base and drapes for the want of a better word, at the top.  Very Egyptian looking ;)
Anne E.B

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Luxor vase - Walther & Sohne
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 10:43:28 AM »
Anne — The design looked familiar, so we must have seen it in and around the West Bank, Luxor, Karnak, and other sites along the Nile.    Janet found it first in the guidebooks.

It is a stylised representation of the papyrus flower, seen most prominently on the capitals of the many papyriform columns around the Solar Court of Amenophis III (1387–49 BC) and the Hypostyle Portico (the entrance to the Court) at the centre of the original Temple of Luxor.   The inner sanctum of this original temple is reached through a series of rooms to the SW.   Rameses II (1279–13 BC) remodelled the temple by extending it at a slight angle to the original alignment to the NE, lining up his immense pylon and other structures with the temple complex at Karnak about two miles away.

There are also papyriform columns at Karnak, but they are not as prominent in the same way.

Besides its many practical uses, papyrus had religious significance as symbolic of the primeval swamp from which all life emerged.

No particular connection with Tutankhamun.   The person who named the design obviously had the Temple of Luxor in mind.

I hope that is useful.

Bernard C.  8)

Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 01:39:33 PM »
Thank you Bernard for your interesting comments 8) and a big thank you to Janet also ;)  Your suggestion about the connection makes more sense.  I like the idea of it being a papyriform column :D, or at least the design being influenced by one.  The vase is much nicer in reality than it looks in my photos - quite a monumental piece, in more ways than one ;D  

Egypt is on my list of "want to go" places.

Anne E.B

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 04:34:27 PM »
Quote from: Anne E.B.
... I like the idea of it being a papyriform column, or at least the design being influenced by one. ...
Anne — Not the column, but the capital, the fancy bit at the top of the column.

... Egypt is on my list of "want to go" places.
Let us know if you want to go.   We have been twice now and would love to do it again.   You get hooked on it for many reasons, including meeting lovely Egyptian Arabs.   We stay in a de-luxe self-catering apartment with swimming pool on the southern edge of Luxor, surrounded by the fields of subsistence farmers, and run by a delightful English lady, who goes out of her way to ensure we get it right.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 05:37:53 PM »
... I like the idea of it being a papyriform column, or at least the design being influenced by one. ...
Anne — Not the column, but the capital, the fancy bit at the top of the column.

Just my over-active imagination Bernard ;) ;D

It sounds a wonderful place, but we are booked for Cyprus this year, so may be next year 8)
Anne E.B

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 10:08:25 PM »
Thank you Anne, Janet and Bernard for all this information - I had no idea so far! Papyrus is a great and best explanation - unfortunately I laid sick in our Nile ship cabin when all others visited Karnak  :-X
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 10:57:13 AM »
What a shame you missed the trip to Karnak Pamela!  May be next time.  One of the perils of cruise ship holidays I guess.  I just know I'd be ill with sea sickness all the time.  I like my feet firmly on ground - that doesn't move ;D
Anne E.B

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 07:10:08 PM »
Anne E.B.,you do not feel the ground moving - feel good on your tour!
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 12:19:56 PM »
me and Julie are off in July to Egypt for the 10th time, doing the cruise and stay from Luxor to Aswan

Anne if you turn it upside down, it's a palm tree and as Bernard said the right way up it a column, that sort of column is found further up the Nile,to name a few, Edfu, kom-ombo and Agilika Island (Philae Temple), and as Bernard said there is some in karnak temple in the hyperstyle hall with the lotus leaf decoration going around the tops
cheers Ray

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 08:10:24 PM »
For interest, just spotted these identical (but pink) vases which are marked BELGE on the base.  Does this mean that they are not by Walther & Sohne, or that they are, with just the mark added for the Belgium market?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6635916089
Anne E.B

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand