No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this a Strathearn paperweight?  (Read 9240 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Is this a Strathearn paperweight?
« on: March 26, 2005, 12:43:31 AM »
Tut!  I really shouldn't be posting this time of night!  

I did a brief 'show and tell' the other night, and this paperweight had very mixed reviews.  One person said it was probably fit for being a doorknob (my sentiments too actually...lol) and someone else said it was rather nice and could be Strathearn.

I paid about £20 for it...it was advertised recently on Ebay as Strathearn...but is it??

http://tinypic.com/2ciweq
http://tinypic.com/2ciwj5
http://tinypic.com/2ciwlc
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 03:56:13 AM »
Hi Max,

Yes, I'd say it's Strathearn. They made these in at least three sizes. The basic weight was formed and then pressed into a mould for the "star" shaping. £20 is a reasonable price for your example.

I assume the "fit for a doorknob" comment was intended as a rather derisory remark. I don't think the moulded "star" pattern was actually used for Doorknobs, but certainly standard domed weights were. They were made by Strathearn, and earlier at Vasart, and Perthshire Paperweights had their versions too - and those are particularly well made. I have even seen a photo of a Doorknob with the paperweight part made by Paul Ysart, but I have not seen one by him for real. The Doorknobs are widely collected, and many folk still use them for the intended purpose - I once visited somebody in Scotland who had Strathearn Doorknobs on most of the doors.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 08:37:54 AM »
Quote from: "KevH"
I assume the "fit for a doorknob" comment was intended as a rather derisory remark.

:oops:  :oops:  :oops:
Leni

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 10:57:50 AM »
All our doorknobs are by Vasart, Strathearn and Pertshire Paperweights with the PP's being slowly replaced. The Vasart ones have the most elaborate ones in old coloured brass, the Strathearn plainer in brighter brass to base metal and the PP's on gaudy modern brass.

It is a perfect method of displaying paperweights and adds a touch of distinction to Mahogany doors.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 01:18:03 PM »
Thanks KevH and Frank for your help.   :)

Although it is Strathearn then, it's not the most attractive paperweight in the world, is it?!  Poor little smudgy thing!

The remark about it being useful as a doorknob was just plain talking, rather than being derisory.  We should be able to do plain talking with friends, shouldn't we?!  I appreciate honesty anyway - can't tell where you're at otherwise, can you?!   :D

I do feel sort of attached to this paperweight though...it's rather nice to hold in your hand and fiddle with when you're watching TV - like a big worry bead.  Still, I think using it as a doorknob is a fantastic idea, and not something I would have thought of.  I'm sure with a bit of glue and determination I could at least use it as a drawer handle.   :idea:  :lol:
I am not a man

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 01:36:56 PM »
Quote from: "KevH"
I don't think the moulded "star" pattern was actually used for Doorknobs, but certainly standard domed weights were.

I reckon the star shaped ones would make better doorhandles for someone like me, with arthritis in hands.  I do struggle sometimes with round doorknobs!   :roll:

It's why we've kept the original octagonal bakelite doorknobs on most of our doors.  Much easier to grip!  Not very pretty though  :x  

Perhaps I should change them for star shaped Strathearn paperweights?  :oops:   :roll:

Are they drilled for fittings though, Frank?  If they were made with the intention of being used as doorknobs I would think that was OK, but I'm not sure I'd risk drilling a 'standard' paperweight, in case I damaged it!    

And I would have thought superglue was a bit dangerous!  You never know where you could find yourself locked in, with the 'doorknob' suddenly loose in your hand!  :shock:

Leni
Leni

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 01:55:44 PM »
Quote from: "Leni"
Are they drilled for fittings though

I don't think know, never had one come off. The Strath/PP ones have a ground base larger than the fitting. The Vasart was made to fit the fitting so know way of telling how base is finished.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2005, 03:23:12 PM »
Occasionally, a small Vasart weight turns up with a hole in the base. It would have been originally set on a shank as part of a Doorknob, Gear Lever ("shift" in the US) or Bar Set item. I believe the base was set with the hole for the fitting at the time of making.

I think some items may have had a threaded collar inserted in the base. But my few examples of individual Bar items (and of course the wonderful complete, boxed 6-piece Bar Set I recently bought) are solidly glued.

My one lonely Strathearn Doorknob is also very solidly fixed to the wide flat end of the bright brass fitting. I don't know if these also had a recessed locater stud for stability.

I don't think I'd trust a home glueing job (well, not if was done by me) for doorhandle use.  :!:
KevinH

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2005, 06:39:58 PM »
Sorry Kev, what's a bar set?
I am not a man

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2005, 08:23:12 PM »
Quote from: "Max"
Sorry Kev, what's a bar set?

Bar sets are boxed collections of these http://www.ysartglass.com/Vascat/VasF001.htm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand