No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 1866 whatzit-- Paperweight? magnifier? ID = Cover for medallion paperweight  (Read 28661 times)

Offline ian.macky

• Members
    • http://glassian.org
Re: Identify this 1866 whatzit-- Paperweight? Desk magnifier?
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2010, 08:21:54 PM »
Can anyone ID this piece of glass?  It's clear, round, 2 1/8" diameter by 1 15/16" high, embossed (upside-down when the flat base is down) "PATD OCT 2ND 1866".  Not fully solid, the base has a depression.  Seems like a desk magnifier-- works well for viewing non-flat objects since they can occupy the space-- good for coins, bugs, etc.  Alas, the USPTO still cannot search for anything but patent# and classification for old patents, and there are a couple hundred issued on that day.

I was taking new pics of this for my "whatsits" gallery and thought I'd re-Google : got a hit this time, with a picture of a complete unit.  It's a paperweight, and there is supposed to be a plaster insert (which is missing in mine).  A picture of a complete one that sold at auction is here (auctionflex.com).   It has a George Washington plaster medallion and is in better shape than mine ("Undamaged with some very light scratches to crown").  Sales price was $220 + 15% premium.

Description reads "GEORGE WASHINGTON PAPERWEIGHT, intricately molded plaster base depicting a profile of Washington within a wreath, above a spread-wing eagle, cherub on either side, Roman numerals for 1776 above and "First in War, First in Peace, First in the Hearts of his Countrymen" underneath, exterior edge molded ""PATD OCT 2ND 1866". United States. 1866-1876. Height: 1 7/8 in. diameter: 2 3/4 in."

Still don't know what the patent refers to.  Tried and failed to locate it again.

--ian

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Identify this 1866 whatzit-- Paperweight? Desk magnifier?
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2011, 06:49:34 PM »
That is a surprising result! But fits with your first thought!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand