No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green 'Murano' paperweight?  (Read 8919 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Green 'Murano' paperweight?
« on: March 29, 2005, 07:56:39 AM »
Ooh, I'm first!   :D  :roll: :lol:  

Can someone tell me if this weight is Murano, and if so, is it possible to say which maker?  It was sold to me as Murano, but I've not seen one made in all one colour before.  http://tinypic.com/2hx6l1

I think some of the canes - particularly the 'flowery' green ones with white edging and the black dot in the middle look particularly 'Murano'-like.  Am I on the right track here Kevin?  

This is a side view, http://tinypic.com/2hxr45  and this is the base, which you can see is very clear and smooth - almost as pretty as the top! http://tinypic.com/2hxr84

It is a big weight, measuring about three and a half inches across.  

I particularly love the way clear green glass rods have been used to space the little canes in the second ring from the edge.   :shock:
So effective!

Leni
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 09:14:47 AM »
hi Leni

most prob carlo moretti yep you were right from Murano
cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 12:15:39 PM »
Quote from: "RAY"
most prob carlo moretti yep you were right from Murano

Hi Ray. Thanks  :D

I've had a look for stuff by Moretti, but haven't seen any paperweights. Can you tell me why you think it's by him?  

Not doubting  :shock: just wanting to learn!   :D

Leni
Leni

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 01:07:31 PM »
opps not carlo but they could be Ercole Moretti or Ragazzi Piero
cheers Ray

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 04:34:13 PM »
Hi Leni & Ray,

Yes, I'd agree it's Murano. And one of the better makers, too. Lots of general Murano weights from the mid-20th century have an uneven setting of the canes when seen in profile - as Bob Hall described in his 2001 book, World Paperweights "... the ends of the canes ... look similar to a profile of the Rocky Mountains ...".

Bob's comment was in connection with an illustrated weight for which he added further comment: "... but the maker of this weight has recognised that care needs to be taken when cutting lengths of cane. This weight shows a perfect profile."

The weight shown in Bob's book was mainly blue, with some green pink and white. The weight shows the same style of care and setting as Leni's and was shown to Bob by the manager of the Vetreria showroom. Interestingly, it was said by the manager that the weight was a test piece but these proved too expensive to make in quantity and the project was dropped.

So - is Leni's one of the "few" that came from Vetreria? Or did they later pick up the project again? Or is it, as Ray suggests, a Moretti item? The setting is certainly of the quality found in the modern Moretti work.

The big problem with Murano weights is that apparently the canes were (and are) produced by only a few makers but used by many. For example, in Sybille Jargstrof's book, Paperweights, another similar weight, in white and light blue, is attributed to Ferro & Lazzarini, 1988 ... but with canes by Moretti.

As with the general Murano glass, pinning down makers of paperweights is not easy.

A good (dealer) site to check out some of the Murano weights is:
http://www.muranopaperweights.co.uk/
KevinH

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 06:05:38 PM »
For example, in Sybille Jargstrof's book, Paperweights, another similar weight, in white and light blue, is attributed to Ferro & Lazzarini, 1988 ... but with canes by Moretti.

I think you'd have to read 1000 books in order to get to grips with this 'attributed to so-and-so and canes by so-and-so' thing.   :?   KevH?  How long have you been paperweighting?  How can you know so much?  I think my brain needs overhauling or something...nothing seems to stay in it anymore.   :?  :roll:

Oh...Leni, I got the paperweight book...I just have buy another 999 and read them now.  :wink:  :lol:
I am not a man

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 09:31:10 PM »
Quote from: "KevH"
The setting is certainly of the quality found in the modern Moretti work.

Checking the Jargstorf book, I'm fairly certain the canes are Moretti.  Whether the weight was put together by them or somebody else ..... who knows!    :?

When we were in Murano a few years ago husband bought a notepad with a leather cover, the centre of which was set with a glass disc which is almost certainly the work of Moretti and, now I look closely at it, some of the canes are identical to those in the paperweight!   :shock:  

Thanks for the URL of the Murano paperweights site.  The pictures of Venice just made me want to go back all the more  :roll:  

Max;  Glad you got the Pat Reilly book!  I now have six paperweight books, so I'm (marginally) nearer to the target of 1000 than you!   :lol:

Leni
Leni

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 11:47:59 PM »
Max said:
I think you'd have to read 1000 books in order to get to grips with this 'attributed to so-and-so and canes by so-and-so' thing.  KevH? How long have you been paperweighting? How can you know so much? I think my brain needs overhauling or something...nothing seems to stay in it anymore.

I have been 'paperweighting' for err, um, let me see ... Oh dear, my brain's like yours Max, nothing stays in it for long  :D

I don't know very much at all. I took a lead from the way Einstein has allegedly been said to have approached things - why bother to remember facts, they are all written down by somebody else, just look them up when you need them.

Actually, my method of working out who made what is by reverse logic. I have a fair idea of what Scottish weights and canes look like. If a current query does not fit as Scottish, I consider another country that I think I "know" the next most about, and so on. By the time I have mentally circled the globe, I give up and reach for my books - of which 40 are primarily related to paperweights. I then spend a few pleasant hours thumbing through the pages until I eventually give up and ask somebody else. Then I come back here and give you all the answer - just as if I knew it all along.

:P
KevinH

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 12:34:59 AM »
I then spend a few pleasant hours thumbing through the pages until I eventually give up and ask somebody else. Then I come back here and give you all the answer - just as if I knew it all along.

You funny thing!   :lol:  I don't believe you for a second!  

Hmm...still didn't find out how long you've been a weightlifter (I believe that is the correct term)  :D

Eeeek!  Look at the time!  Night all xx Happy dreams of glass!
I am not a man

Offline Artofvenice

• Members
    • http://www.artofvenice.com
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 08:44:01 PM »
In my opinion it can be of ALT or 3Fiori.
Normally they used more detailed murrina canes, but for few models, the name was "circolo" or "rosellina" if I remeber, they used also the standard canes, the same usually made for the traditional pendents.

Sincerely

Alex

http://www.artofvenice.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand