No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano and Pigeons (split topic) ....  (Read 4712 times)

Anonymous

Murano and Pigeons (split topic) ....
« on: March 30, 2005, 04:29:21 PM »
Quote from: "Bernard C"
My views on how to get it right on Murano.

5. Toilets

Hotel and other tourist toilets are what you expect, although the way they keep them immaculate puts us British to shame.  

10. Pigeons

.   They are dirty and disgusting birds, just like all city pigeons.   Throw your crumbs into the canal, where they will be recycled into fish.

8)

Rather apt kettle and pot exchanging references to black. So the British toilets are dirty.... but which of the birds are the clean ones??...any ??...
I believe one the board members is an avid birdwatcher...perhaps they could enlighten us

regards

gareth

morgan

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 09:51:07 PM »
There are no dirty or disgusting birds. The "dirt" and "disgust" are just human perceptions.

A bit like glass, really ... I think some items are really awful but others say they are wonderful, whereas, similar in concept to the philosophical discussions on "art glass" elsewhere, the actual items have no inherent condition of "awfullness" or "wonder".

:)
KevinH

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 10:19:14 PM »
Quote from: "KevH"
There are no dirty or disgusting birds. The "dirt" and "disgust" are just human perceptions.
 :)

Kevin

Dismissive postulation from such superior intelligence doesn't strike me as particularly "pereceptive"!!.....more like a contradiction.  

regards

gareth

morgan48

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 10:32:21 PM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
[Dismissive postulation from such superior intelligence doesn't strike me as particularly "pereceptive"!!.....more like a contradiction.
regards

gareth

morgan48

I'm really sorry Gareth, and I know it's probably me being 'thick', but sometimes (well, no, often, actually  :oops: ) I just don't understand what you are talking about!   :oops:  :(  :roll:

Leni
Leni

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 10:45:08 PM »
We had a severe problem with pigeons in an enclosed shaft (except top) at the back of our building. The pigeon excrement had built up to such a level that we had to have it cleaned up and netted over last year. In the course we discovered that the nasty bugs in pigeon poo are one of the major causes of death for Aids sufferers and also dangerous to infants. We thought Felicity, who enjoed looking through the GLASS at them, would miss them. But they soon worked out how to sleep on the 'special' anti-pigeon net. Problem is again accumulating.

Mind you it is a minor risk compared with that experienced by many workers in the glass industry from toxic materials.

I suppose it makes the pigeons neither disgusting nor dirty, it is us for not cleaning their nesting sites. The folks around here (I live in the middle of the night life zone) are much better candidates for dirty and disgusting and create much worse mess than any pigeons. :D  The one good thing is a constant supply of free glasses deposited around the streets for morning collection! Disturbing though, is the increasing use of plastic 'glasses'.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 12:31:54 PM »
I forgot to include Murano! My bet is that more dirt is created by the people than the pigeons!

With all the different things in pigeon dung perhaps it could give some interesting effects if included in glass-making?

Offline Morgan48

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 01:23:10 PM »
Quote from: "Frank"

I suppose it makes the pigeons neither disgusting nor dirty, it is us for not cleaning their nesting sites. .

Leni

Any remark that blandly dismisses pigeons, or whatever, as dirty and disgusting is a typical example of the arrogance of mankind. We create an environment to some extent artificial, enforce it upon the wildlife that is around, and then have the temerity to criticise it for doing exactly what it did prior to such an imposition.
We appear to have this amazing facility to be able to divert accountability and responsibility onto something else that was quite incapable of having played any direct or deliberate role to the outcome.....one that in many instances is propelled by our own greed, ignorance and stupidity.
An example of this currently is in the Far East with the concern regarding a possibly very serious epidemic emanating from a situation that includes chickens. The fingers keep pointing to the chickens and very conveniently keep trying to sidestep the fact that it is the "bulk farmers" and the various mechanised and materialistic cohorts that have jammed them into the appalling and squalid environment that is allowing this disease to propagate. The chickens in the meanwhile are dying as a direct result of this intense farming and unfortunately, despite being reviled for transmitting such a despicable disease, are quite incapable of changing their fate one iota....apart from dying that is.....and here they should be applauded for their magnificent effort and contribution to resolving the problem
Kevins use of the word perception I simply felt was bestowing an accolade to those who simply close their eyes prior to pulling the trigger and then have a look to see what they shot!.... Kevin possibly a lot kinder... and me much more critical. Give me a birdwatcher anyday over one who simply blasts them out of the sky for fun!!!!
 In my opinion the word perceptive is much more correctly and aptly applied when used in the context as illustrated by Franks observation ( see quote above ).
I dont doubt there are some, maybe me included even , whose reaction to this might be that all I enjoy doing is banging lots of drums, picking holes in people and generally being an arrogant fart...and that this is not an appropriate site to be promoting such opinions...bear in mind however that my postings have simply been a response to and not an instigation of a subject.......but if caring about this extremely precarious environment that we have colluded to attempt to survive in justifies that label...then so be it...but something inside of me does not allow an alternative choice.
I am also aware that there are those who with wicked perversion enjoy sticking the pig simply to make it grunt.
Leni ...that you do not understand me is certainly not your fault....but it is nevertheless a concern.

regards

gareth

morgan48

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 02:58:40 PM »
Quote from: "Morgan48"
Leni ...that you do not understand me is certainly not your fault....but it is nevertheless a concern.

regards

gareth

morgan48

Gareth, thank you.  

I do 'understand you' - on one level.  And I have to say that I agree and am completely in sympathy with your views!  

However, sometimes (particularly when reading your posts late at night  :roll:  :oops: ) I find your way of putting things slightly difficult to follow.  :?  

My lack of 'understanding' is 100% due to style rather than content  :shock:

Told you it was just me bein' thick  :oops:

Leni  xx
Leni

Offline Morgan48

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 04:57:35 PM »
Quote from: "Leni"
[
I
However, sometimes (particularly when reading your posts late at night  :roll:  :oops: ) I find your way of putting things slightly difficult to follow.  :?  
My lack of 'understanding' is 100% due to style rather than content  :shock:

Told you it was just me bein' thick  :oops:

Leni  xx

Hi Leni

If there is a problem in communication then I would say the fault is mine...you are not the first to tell me that I'm sometimes difficult to follow... its a lot more complicated when its in my head which is probably why it makes sense to me once I've written it down.....a bit like exorcising the demons.
Actually I think a very good example of when it can sometimes "come out"  with possible chances of being misinterpreted is the short reply of mine to Kevin. The following day it sounded to me as though I were criticising him which I certainly was not..my reference was to other parties but then it didn't seem to read that way :oops:  :oops: ( my turn ).........and as I had not logged in I could not change the slant.....so I even confuse myself.
Anyway Leni you certainly are not thick... its just that I talk in circles and you think in straight lines...Reading your postings I get the impression of a happy easy going person who just wishes everyone else maybe was as happy...dont change that as it is a quality to be desired and a great shame that not more people share it.

regards

gareth

morgan48

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 04:29:56 PM »
:D:D:D

Hello, I'm replying to this topic because at one point, Gareth (Morgan48) was logged in on this thread. He's been absent from the GMB for some time now, and people are becoming concerned, and missing him!

I hope you are watching this topic for replies, Gareth, and that you might pop in and say "hello" again? Please?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand