No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: EAPG help: Wyoming glass covered syrup  (Read 6864 times)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
EAPG help: Wyoming glass covered syrup
« on: April 01, 2007, 04:42:32 AM »
... split from Davidson 269 topic.

The story so far: Here is Dee's little piece, which appears to be in the US glass Wyoming pattern. http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f342/untamed_lady2000/Blueowlandfeatherjug.jpg

Dee's covered syrup has a common Etherden treatment. Etherden did not make glass themselves, but decorated glass mainly from Crown Crystal.

Can anyone help us distinguish between the Australian-made pieces (assuming they are Australian-made) and the genuine EAPG?
-----

Hi Dee,

Haven't got time for a full reply right now, but that second piece is an Etherden decorated 'Wyoming' jug, made probably by Crown Crystal, probably using an EAPG mould that Crown purchased. The evidence is as follows: a. Marjorie Graham had a file note from the 1980s from an old worker stating that they used to buy moulds, b. these pieces appeared in the catalogues for over a decade, making it unlikely that they just purchased old stock, and c. they were unlikely to bother copying such an intricate mould. It seems to be fairly good evidence, if not conclusive, that they had this mould.

I haven't been able to find anything about Etherden at all - yet :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline untamed_lady2000

• Members
  • Australia
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 06:13:09 AM »
Hi Cathy

There are two versions of this jug. The one I believe to be 'Wyoming' is smooth under the foot. The one I think is 'Owl and Feather' has stepped ridges under it. I have assumed this way because the painted one has the ridges and 'The Entrance' on it (which I thought was ours near Sydney).

I could be wrong on this as my logic can sometimes be way off ::) I have a few of each and have not wanted to sell any until I knew for sure what I was selling.

I haven't found anything on Etherden yet either, When I do a google I get "did you mean ethernet?" Very frustrating because I love the art work and would like to know more.

Just curious if you know did they make the Wyoming/Owl and Feather jugs in any other colours? That was the first one I had seen that was not flint so I grabbed it. When I collect sets I get one in each colour not the traditional way you would think of a set. Hence I would love to know this to see if I am looking in vain or not.
Dee

I wish you every happiness and may you always have the best of the good things in life.     A Brand

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 08:20:13 AM »
Hi Dee,

I'd be interested in any differences in the pattern on the sides of the jugs, as well as any photos you have of the base. Differences in the base treatment don't necessarily prove that they're different patterns - but it does go to some way to prove that Crown made the pattern. Crown may have altered the mould to give the ridges in the base. In the EAPG books I've seen, it never has a lid, so they may have changed it to fit one - but we need an EAPG expert to check.

The name 'Owl and Feather' seems to be locally coined - certainly it doesn't seem to have the same name in the US. I would be cautious about separating them out as different patterns until the providence is known.

About Etherden, they were definitely Australian, and probably Sydney-based, but there's nothing about them in the National Archives anywhere in Australia, nor any other archives that I've searched, and nor have I come across any ads in archived papers and magazines. Maybe something will turn up someday.

Would it be okay for us to split this section out to attract people knowledgeable about EAPG?

Offline untamed_lady2000

• Members
  • Australia
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 08:41:55 AM »
Split away Cathy. Meanwhile I will read up on how to use the prefered gallery here (instead of photobucket) and put some pics in it. And I'll have a good look tomorrow in daylight to see if I can see any difference in the patterns.

Dee
Dee

I wish you every happiness and may you always have the best of the good things in life.     A Brand

Connie

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 09:06:03 AM »
Answering CathyB from another thread:

I looked at this water pitcher but EAPG is not really my area.  Sid would be a better resource.  :)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 09:11:42 AM »
Ohh, Dee, sorry! Called you Lyn, not once but twice!

Connie, thanks for looking!

Offline untamed_lady2000

• Members
  • Australia
Re: EAPG help: Wyoming glass covered syrup
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 09:59:55 AM »
Thats ok Sarah  ;D call me anything except late for dinner!
Dee

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 03:25:55 PM »
Hello:

Wyoming (No. 15081) was introduced in 1903 as part of the States series of patterns.  A US Glass catalog shows a covered pitcher that is the same or similar to this example.  They called it an "Ind. Tankard and Cover"  and also noted they would make it without cover.  The catalog page is very poor and I cannot see any details of the base.

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 07:05:58 PM »
Hello:

Tom Bredehoft on behalf of the West Virginia Museum of American Glass has provided a scan of the Individual Tankard from the US Glass catalog:

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6129

In addition, Tom provided the following comments:

Wyoming was considered to be 'packer's wares' not high quality glass.  I cannot see any details in the bottom of the tankard, nor do I have a piece of Wyoming to examine.

I don't understand the comment, 'not Flint." Aside from the color flint, U. S. Glass Co. made no pressed lead glass. Are they referring to the acid etched surface?

I wouldn't be surprised to find that U. S. Glass Co. had sold stock, rather than molds, there seems to be little if any evidence of mold transfers from U. S. Glass Co. at any time.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Is the tankard truly blue or is that colouring an artifact of the etched surface?

The WVMAG is a marvelous organization dedicated to the study of glass.  You may wish to visit their webpage: http://wvmag.bglances.com/

Offline Tom B

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 07:15:55 PM »
If it is blue, it is definitely not U. S. Glass Co. production. While U. S. Glass Co. did make a blue color at that time, it is a much stronger copper blue that shown in the image.

Tom

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand