No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Walsh glasses  (Read 8714 times)

Offline JPH

• Members
Walsh glasses
« on: May 12, 2004, 02:11:39 AM »
:?:
I am a very new collector... I need enlightening.
I have just purchased two hock style glasses with "Walsh" etched on the bese. They also have some etching on the rims of grapes and leaves.
The quality seems very good... nice long, tuneful ring to the glass.
I read (Millers) that items made by Walsh were only etched like this in 1926-1930.
I would like some info on the market value and how common are thses type of items
regards,
JPH
 am new and keen... please forgive the base level of some of my questions.
JPH

Offline EricR

• Members
WALSH glass
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 07:07:32 PM »
Congratulations on your purchase of WALSH glass.

You will find an interesting article on WALSH glass on this website.

"WALSH" was used as a marking in the late 1920's/early 1930's and it later became "WALSH ENGLAND".

The fruiting vine pattern was very popular. You do not say whether your glasses are clear crystal or cased(overlay) colour. These glasses are available as a harlequin set of 6 colours. Many other items including vases, bowls, decanters, tumblers, dessert bowls, water jugs and handbells sometimes appear at fairs and in antique centres.

I do not normally publicly give valuations as these can vary depending on size, condition, etc and also collector demand at that point in time. If you send me more detail relating to your glasses I will compare them with some of my recent purchases and try to provide a realistic valuation.

I was pleased to read your message and will offer assistance wherever I can. If you become a WALSH collector you may find my book "The Glass Of John Walsh Walsh 1850-1951" of interest.

The number of specialsed collectors of WALSH glass is steadily growing and you would be welcome to join this "exclusive club".

I know Walsh glass comes up for sale in New Zealand and Australia. I have purchased several pieces this part of the world.

If you have any further questions relating to WALSH glass please do not hesitate to ask.

EricR

Offline JPH

• Members
Walsh glasses
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 10:59:09 PM »
Hello and thank you EricR for your reply.
I would much like to visit the web site you mentioned, but I see no sign of the address and your personal message is not active.
I can email you a phots if I can have your email address also.
I am excited about your book.
My glasses are clear and of excellent quality. They are in perfect condition... as new.
JPH
JPH

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
A dealer's view of Fruiting Vine, &c.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2004, 08:57:53 AM »
Clear crystal Fruiting Vine is an unusual and interesting pattern as it relates to today's marketplace.   As it was made in reasonable quantity, it is not too difficult to find examples today.   I buy singles, pairs or any quantity I find, as it is such high quality it will always sell well.   Note that the number of flake cuts in the rings under the fruiting vine pattern can vary considerably.   I once bought a set of five sherries where this number varied from five to eight on individual glasses.   About all you can say about such a set is that it was probably not purchased through a top London store such as Fortnum & Masons.

My undertaker, or at least he probably will be when the time comes, has inherited a magnificent family collection of Edinburgh "Thistle" pattern decanters and glasses, much of which looks Victorian to me.   This is used on special occasions.   The main advantage of this pattern is that he and his ancestors have replaced broken or damaged items on a regular basis.   So the set is still complete, but from a variety of periods.

I know of at least two collectors who are taking a similar approach to Walsh "Fruiting Vine".   They start by buying anything in the pattern.   Then by trying to build up complete sets.   One told me that he will continue to buy Walsh Fruiting Vine as long as it is less than roughly half the price of new items of similar quality.   And both use their Walsh Fruiting Vine for special occasions.

So, I believe there will always be a demand, and prices will relate to shop prices of similar quality items.   At some time supply might get more difficult as the pattern gets more popular, tending to push up prices.   So those collecting today will find themselves owning a very pleasant appreciating investment.

Some collectors are taking this approach with all Walsh glass.   It is actually very difficult to find examples of Walsh glass that are not of the highest quality.   The elegant simplicity of their patterns did not allow any room for error.    And their base stars are always perfect.   In cut crystal I only know of one example, a very rare bowl that Eric and I discussed about a year or two ago and one of only two known examples of the pattern.   Pompeian is perhaps the most obvious range to check carefully - for lopsidedness and for burst bubbles.

The website that Eric referred to is http://www.glass.co.nz , the home of the first version of this message board.   You will find his illustrated article on Walsh there.

... and I strongly recommend Eric's excellent book, together with a good quality magnifying glass.   It is one of the most cost-effective books I have ever purchased, easily paying for itself on my first (unmarked) Walsh purchase after buying it.    

Bernard C
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline JPH

• Members
Walsh glasses
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 06:53:39 AM »
:) Thanks Bernard,
I apreciate your info... I did see the Walsh article that Eric had been referring to... I must have had a dopey moment when I asked about the glass site. I did work it out.
I will be on the lookout for more Walsh glass, it is beautiful.
Best wishes,
JPH.
JPH

Offline JPH

• Members
re Walsh Glasses
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2004, 10:01:49 AM »
Can either of you give me an indication of the market value of the Walsh hock glasses? They are in perfect condition.
I love them and am determined to collect more Walsh Glass.
JPH
JPH

Anonymous

Walsh glasses
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2004, 08:09:02 PM »
I am sure you are aware that prices vary depending on a number of factors. The values below are based on my purchases of more than 50 Walsh Fruiting Vine wine glasses over the last 10 years.

Clear Crystal (each)                                 £10-15 (pounds sterling)
Clear Crystal - Airtwist stem (each)             20-30
Coloured single (each)                                25-35
Harlequin set of 6 diff colours                      200-250 per full set of 6

Within each category there are variations depending on where purchased and how desperate I was to close the deal. These values should only be taken as a broad guide as some were auction prices and others dealer sell prices. I hope this info is of some use but please treat it with great respect.

Bernard - I hope I have not "shot myself in the foot" should we at some time in the future be involved in a sell/buy deal. I will still expect your best price ( as I know you always quote)

Offline JPH

• Members
Walsh Glasses
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2004, 08:56:49 PM »
Thanks,
I really appreciate your input... I will learn to understand collecting with this kind of help.
JPH
JPH

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
More thoughts ....
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2004, 09:22:33 PM »
Eric (it had to be you):

As you know I am not keen on discussing values and prices on this board or in public.   And my resolve in this has grown stronger with the constant stream of tacky television programmes that depict antique dealers as little more than confidence tricksters.   I look forward to the day when two members of the public spot a nice looking leg of lamb in a butcher's shop priced at £7.25, and their advisor, perhaps Delia herself, tells them to see if they can get it for £4.50 to give them a good chance of winning this episode of Cookery Challenge.

Most people forget the overheads of finding stock, cleaning it, researching it, storing it, labelling it, transport, security, breakages, and bringing it to the attention of the collector.   And you have to pay yourself some sort of wage - we all need to eat and keep a roof over our heads.

Back to specifics.   I think that anyone today paying the prices Eric quotes above should regard themselves as extremely fortunate.

Bernard C.
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Anonymous

Re: More thoughts ....
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2004, 09:58:25 PM »
Quote from: "Bernard C"
Eric (it had to be you):

I look forward to the day when two members of the public spot a nice looking leg of lamb in a butcher's shop priced at £7.25, and their advisor, perhaps Delia herself, tells them to see if they can get it for £4.50 to give them a good chance of winning this episode of Cookery Challenge.

:lol: @ bernard, but your right

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand