No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: What is with this base???  (Read 4596 times)

Offline karelm

• Members
What is with this base???
« on: April 03, 2007, 03:31:32 PM »
Hi,
I have seen this on ebay and am wondering if anyone has seen this before or know this as a standard restoring procedure for a bad base at some time or by some restorer? Or is this suppossed to enhance the way the light reflects back into the weight ??? Or is there some other reason??
As far as I can see the roses look right, am I correct in assuming the description is right and it is Clichy??  It will get to rich for my purse...but maybe one day ::) >:D
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Clichy-Millefiori-Paperweight-Pink-Green-Rose-c1850_W0QQitemZ320098405422QQcategoryZ20QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Kind regards

Karel
"Holy cows make the best steaks"

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
Re: What is with this base???
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 04:11:12 PM »
That's definitely Clichy.

I wouldn't call giving it a grid cut a standard way of restoring a base. Maybe someone got creative. I like the way it looks.

Antique weights are definitely out of my reach too. Maybe someday. In the meantime I will console myself with the beautiful stuff coming from Scottish makers.  ;D
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 07:33:31 PM »
Yes, I've been watching that one as well.  Definitely Clichy, but WHY that treatment of the base?  :o

Maybe there was a bad bruise which needed removing, but someone obviously decided that rather than just lose a layer of glass they would do some fairly elaborate cutting!  For what purpose, one wonders?  ???

It does look quite nice I suppose, and it would certainly make it obvious that some 'repair' work has been done, as everyone would know that no Clichy would have originally been finished this way.  That's the only reason I can think of. 

I don't think the price will go as high as it might without the fancy cutting, which may put some 'purists' off.  But it is possible to get a nice Clichy at a reasonable price.  I only paid between a couple and three hundred quid for mine, and with £30 worth of polishing by an expert hand, it's now worth about £800 I'm told! ;D
Leni

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 07:42:09 PM »
This base cutting is found as standard on some paperweights. Lynne had one but I can't remember if it was Clichy or St Louis or something else

Found it here but it's a much finer grid and St Louis

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 09:05:59 PM »
This base cutting is found as standard on some paperweights. Lynne had one but I can't remember if it was Clichy or St Louis or something else

Found it here but it's a much finer grid and St Louis

Yes, that one is mine.  Very fine cutting, nothing like the coarse grid on karelm's one.  (karelm - what is your proper name?  I feel very rude calling you by your id all the time...)

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 11:04:52 PM »
I did a little bit of reading and found mention of Clichy putting a grid cut on the bases of some of their double overlays.
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 08:26:42 AM »
I did a little bit of reading and found mention of Clichy putting a grid cut on the bases of some of their double overlays.
Thanks, Trufflehunter, you're absolutely right!  I just looked it up in my 'Hollister'! :o 

I wonder if this base treatment could possibly be original then? ???  How strange!  Might even make it more expensive! ::) 
Leni

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 09:07:03 AM »
It certainly would add to the cost and I cannot think of any damage it could hide that normal polishing would not deal with. My vote is original. The modern use is only on the more special: http://www.scotlandsglass.co.uk/cms/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.view_images&product_id=1565&image_id=520&Itemid=1

Offline karelm

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 10:41:36 AM »
The only reference I could find is also to the base cutting only done on other cut weights.  Could be that this was experimental or there would be other examples known?  But if consensus is that it is original the price is going to go to morgage levels I'd recon  ;D Should be good to watch.
Karel
"Holy cows make the best steaks"

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 07:59:26 PM »
Bid what you can afford and perhaps you get lucky... if not, at least you had the fun of taking part.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand