No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Not Hlava but Lipsky  (Read 3730 times)

Sklounion

Not Hlava but Lipsky
« on: April 03, 2007, 08:24:50 PM »
For a number of years, I have thought that the vase in this link, was definitely not a Pavel Hlava design, despite the attributions, and the fact that such a striking vase has not appeared in catalogues of Hlava's work. The example I have, was bought with the knowledge that this was an Oldrich Lipsky design for Exbor, despite being attributed by the seller as Hlava. This view was recently justified by the discovery of this image in CGR.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6239
Image copyright CGR. Photographer Jindrich Brok. Used under copyright conditions of CGR.
CGR 1964/9/p5.

The legend for this image, number 8 in the article states: "Coloured vase, design of Oldrich Lipsky, product of Novy Bor glassworks."
Another similar vase is also documented in "Bohemia Glass" published by Crystalex in 1985. Hopefully, this will be another mis-attribution that will eventually die out.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: Not Hlava but Lipsky
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 09:54:59 PM »
Wow.  :D That's a big find Marcus.  Well done!  That information might take a while to filter through though, eh?  Congrats!   :-*

I am not a man

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 09:50:47 PM »
Image missing from GG, could it be restored please for reference?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 10:09:01 PM »
Well, it is typical mistake at eBay and German specialy - all is attributed to Hlava.
Thank you Marcus to remember it, I have almost resignated....

Jindrich

Sklounion

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 08:43:16 AM »
Hi Anne,
Sorry, all my images were deleted from the computers in January, and I no longer have the research materials.
Regards,
M

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 09:34:51 AM »
CGR 1964/9 - page 262  (German version) is here.

Copyright issue:
For educational or non-commercional research the photographies can be used always.
I wonder who can give us the presmission: CGR does not exist, state where CGR was issued does not exist, Jindrich Brok is dead for many years...
If anybody knows who has copyright of CGR let me know, it will help me a lot.

Jindrich

Sklounion

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 10:11:27 AM »
Jindrich,

CGR copyright:
Originally Rapid Praha, then EFEKT Praha, then Crystalex, then the editorial board of Glasrevue on-line.

Jindrich Brok copyright:
For 70 years after his death, copyright rests with his family and heirs. Also copyright on many of Brok's images rests with UPM.

Simply because the journal has closed, Czechoslovakia and in particular Praha is within the now-Czech Republic, and Brok being dead, does not make the material free of copyright, or a free-for all for copyright piracy. The Czech Republic is a signatory of the Berne Convention.

For educational or non-commercional research the photographies can be used always.

This is not always the case.

Hence my use of this wording: "Image copyright CGR. Photographer Jindrich Brok. Used under copyright conditions of CGR".

This was a decision based on discussions with members of the Glasrevue editorial board.

Regards,

Marcus

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 10:56:52 AM »
The matter of question is not that photographies are free but who is owner of rights now.
Crystalex si dead now and I am very unsure, that this company had inherited rights from Rapid.

Have you any solid information about CGR copyrights issue or is it only expectational inheritance Marcus?
Jindrich

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 06:51:22 PM »
Am i right in thinking this one i found today, is Lipsky  :huh:
Saw it on the dealers table , got quite excited, its got a small chip on the rim,
but was happy with the £25 i paid  ;D
Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 07:13:02 PM »
OOh,where by the Thames did you find that,I want one!
                                                             Keith.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand