No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Clear Glass Fish Bookend(?) Tchecoslovague = Feigl and Morawetz, Libochovice  (Read 7562 times)

Offline eglass

• Members
Hello!

I have another piece that has me flummoxed, and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for a maker of this pressed glass piece.

This Fish Bookend (I think, because it came as one of a pair) stands 5.625" tall, 5" long and 2.625" wide. It's marked on the bottom "TCHECOSLOVAGUE", with an accent mark over the first "E". Is this a piece made in Czechoslovakia for export to France? It seems that the mark is the French spelling of the country's name, but I'm just taking a wild guess after googling.

As always, any input is most appreciated. I have checked the "Presglas Pavilion" site, but may have missed this piece while wandering the halls there, lol....easy to get lost in all that gorgeous stuff.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6263
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6259
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6262

Sklounion

Re: Clear Glass Fish Bookend(?) Tchecoslovague
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 05:47:28 AM »
Yes, a Czechoslovakian piece for export to France.
Possible makers to research further are:
Reidel, of Polaun,
Feigl and Morawetz, Libochovice
and some of the manufacturers around Jablonec.
It might also be worth looking in the current catalogue (under Historic) of Desna,
in case this is a piece which they still make.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline eglass

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 02:33:35 PM »
Marcus, thank you VERY much! I will research further and let you know what I find. :)

Kelli

Sklounion

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 03:08:28 PM »
Kelli,
This is pre-war production. Desna do not have this as a current product.
You might also check Hoffmann, though I would have expected a visible butterfly mark to the base.
I suggested Feigl and Morawetz (Moravka) at Libochovice as they did some remarkable quality decorative pieces, with subjects from nature, and a fine bookend of a glass-blower.
Schlevogt also is a possibility.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 06:20:32 PM »
Have the same model in blue sitting on my desk. I believe it is a paperweight or decorative motif rather than a bookend as there is no flat vertical to prop against a row of books. As to maker, I can't add a great deal more other than to agree with what Marcus has said. I feel Hoffmann can most likely be ruled out as there is no mark and the bright fire polished finish appears inconsistent with the known Hoffmann patterns I have handled.

Offline eglass

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 10:37:52 PM »
Hi Marcus and Stephen!

I did look through the Desna site, and didn't find it - but rather gave up after seeing the Desna quality, this really isn't made as nicely as the Desna pieces that are showcased.

Thank you for the additional names, I will keep plugging away. :)

Kelli

Sklounion

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 06:14:51 PM »
Hi Steven,
Please could you put an image of your fish into this topic, as The original posters images have disappeared from Glass Gallery?
Thank you, as I may be move this forward.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 07:39:56 PM »
Hello Marcus,

No problem, I still have the fish, though it will take a few days before I can retrieve and photograph it.

all the best,
Steven

Sklounion

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 07:55:05 PM »
Hi Steven,
Thank you, for this, whenever you are ready.
Apologies for the errors in my previous post, I have another bad headache, caused by a new stove, and the fumes emitted by its coating material, when heated.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 02:01:58 PM »
Tchecoslovague is a mis-spelling of the French adjective "tchécoslovaque" (Czechoslovakian)
The name of the country in French was Tchécoslovaquie
Pete

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand