No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Strange whisky tumbler  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Strange whisky tumbler
« on: April 05, 2007, 06:53:30 PM »
It's very heavy and very thick (4mm at the top). The base is a rounded indent with ground edges and the chipping often associated with such grinding. 8.5 cm tall and 7.5 cm top diameter. Plenty of wear on base and top edge, but very little damage. Has anyone any idea how old it might be please?
See top , base and side

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Strange whisky tumbler
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 12:57:38 PM »
Too small for a whisky tumbler, more like a shot-glass. Could have been made locally for Mediterranean tourist bars, or not.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 01:14:03 PM »
I have a set of same shape same size same finish glasses with a blue thread around the edge and found out they were English 19th century. Now of course I cannot find the reference again - but they're defo not for the "get peed in Magaluf" trade.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 02:05:05 PM »
Too big for a shot glass and buckets of wear where the poor thing has been stored both on its top and its bottom for years. If it was in normal thicknes glass you would say it was definitely a whisky tumbler. It's crudely made to a high standard, if that makes sense. Reminds me of some of the so-called illusion glasses

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 01:16:55 PM »
Thought this could do with reviving  ;)

Offline Ming

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 09:16:53 PM »
Hi Christine

I am one of this funny tumbler collector and even have a book on tumbler. I think your tumbler is not old at all. It does not have the look of a old tumbler. Much look like a modern whisky shot glass. Just because the base is worn does not make it old. A few year moving around on the table does shown.
Never walk away from a bargain

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 12:34:11 PM »
I disagree. It's not modern; it's completely hand made and I would doubt it was made in either the 20th or the 21st century. I don't know much about glasses but I do know a bit about glass

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 01:23:44 PM »
There were similar wares produced in Denmark from around 1850 onwards. I'm not saying it's Danish by any stretch, but because Denmark had no real tradition of glass design at this time they plundered heavily from elsewhere and so their output is strongly indicative of what was popular in other countries around the same time, often with very little modification.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 07:33:30 AM »
At the glass fair on Sunday, one of the stalls of old glasses had several different tumblers in just this form with the ground base rim and deep base indent. They were slightly better made, slightly larger and finer, and had less of a deceptive glass appearance. They were described as German 1810 and 1850. On that basis, I am happy to assign mine to the first half of the 19th C and probably Continental Europe.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand